PDA

View Full Version : Flying with frags

abrian
06/01/2010, 03:40 PM
I am heading up to Boston next week for a conference and would like to spend some time hitting area LFSs my last afternoon there before flying out that evening. I am wondering since I have never tried before if there is any way I can put any coral purchases in my carry on bag to bring home, or if I am stuck with not being able to buy anything. I am not planning to check a bag, just carry on. Any tips or advice is appreciated.

mule31
06/01/2010, 03:44 PM
I think you may have an issue with water being over 3 ounces. I would call your airline.

The_Codfather
06/01/2010, 03:45 PM
Call the airport.. you never know what you can and can't take on planes now day.. A friend of my 2 weeks ago had her snow globe from disney taken away

Johnny C
06/01/2010, 09:01 PM
You can check a box instead of a suitcase... you won't be able to bring the livestock on the plane but won't have an issue if you check it. Ask the LFS to pack a styro box.

d-man
06/01/2010, 09:21 PM
I believe a live fish visually swimming is ok but since the coral doesnt move you'd have to check it. How long is the flight home?
ie. will the frags survive for a few hrs is only 2 oz or so of h2o?
call tsa for sure and speak to a manager that will be on duty during the time you'll be there.

abrian
06/02/2010, 08:10 AM
You can check a box instead of a suitcase... you won't be able to bring the livestock on the plane but won't have an issue if you check it. Ask the LFS to pack a styro box.

This might be a viable option, if I could have the LFS pack any purchases in a shipping box and then pay the extra checked bag fee. The bag fee is a lot cheaper than shipping. My flight is about six hours w/ layover, so the frags would only be bagged for about 8-10 hours max which is less than when shipped overnight for sure.

Thank you for the great suggestions!