PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin Goby Help Please, Now.

FlyinggFish
06/01/2010, 06:58 PM
Within about a 2 hour's time, I came home to my Mandarin Goby floating upside still swimming and breathing heavily.
To my knowledge he is healthy. He eats every single thing I put in the tank and doesn't look skinny at all.
Literally within 2 hours of being out of the house something happened to my mandarin goby.
I'm trying to get him out of the tank so I can get a better look at him, but this is a mission. He's not cooperating.

I've had him for almost a month and like I said, eat's everything, his favorite is mysis shrimp.
I was going to put him in a tank with an air stone, maybe the problem is air circulation but my other fish aren't showing any problems.
I was also going to treat him. Perhaps there is ich or a parasite in the gills of the fish. I was reading that Mandarin Gobys can possibly get this. I have treatment for scaleless fish which worked on my Engineer goby when he had some sort of parasite/fungus.
Does anyone know what this could be? Malnutrition? or oxygen levels?
I need to get him out pronto.

Thank you so very much.

FlyinggFish
06/01/2010, 07:22 PM
Could it be the swim bladder.

FlyinggFish
06/01/2010, 08:51 PM
Okay? Anybody?

Johnny C
06/01/2010, 08:56 PM
Is he in the 8G tank in your signature? It sounds like he's not going to make it...

FlyinggFish
06/01/2010, 09:01 PM
No he was in my 65 gallon. I just got him out, though? Do you have any other suggestions?

csmfish
06/01/2010, 09:32 PM
best thing to do is get him in some oxygenated water and let nature take it course. It is kind of hard to treat what you dont know that ails him. Could have gotten crushed some how also. If that happened, they will breath heavy before they go too. being how dark he is, you might not see the bruising.

The_Codfather
06/01/2010, 10:12 PM
Like csmfish said "oxygenated water and let nature take it course"

FlyinggFish
06/02/2010, 07:53 AM
Alright. So I had him in the bucket with an air-stone over night. I also added some Rally treatment to the bucket in case something is in his gills. I do notice that his fills are expanded/open since I've seen him messed up, they do not lay down flat the way he should. Luckily I didn't wake up to a dead fish. He is still alive. He is not floating upside but he isn't really moving until I move the bucket a little and still he isn't floating upside down. Very strange. How long should I keep him in there? I was thinking of trying to add some food since he wasn't eating anything yesterday given the circumstances. Does it also help to add Rally? or should I just discontinue using it on the fish?
Thank you so much for your input.

The_Codfather
06/02/2010, 06:22 PM
Alright. So I had him in the bucket with an air-stone over night. I also added some Rally treatment to the bucket in case something is in his gills. I do notice that his fills are expanded/open since I've seen him messed up, they do not lay down flat the way he should. Luckily I didn't wake up to a dead fish. He is still alive. He is not floating upside but he isn't really moving until I move the bucket a little and still he isn't floating upside down. Very strange. How long should I keep him in there? I was thinking of trying to add some food since he wasn't eating anything yesterday given the circumstances. Does it also help to add Rally? or should I just discontinue using it on the fish?
Thank you so much for your input. happy to hear you didn't wake up to a dead one..Don't know nothing about rally but i would try some food

FlyinggFish
06/02/2010, 06:36 PM
Tried food. He isn't eating. I'll try again tomorrow.
Rally works on scaleless fish, which is a + in this situation. It did wonders on my engineer goby when he had some crazy white stuff all over him. I'm giving him a 5 minute bath in this stuff, meaning I'm increasing the concentration of the Rally.
Ughh, all of the really strange things seems to happen to me.
I hope others have opinions/guestimations to add to this.

Please and Thank You.

FlyinggFish
06/04/2010, 10:20 AM
So my LFS suggested that I put the fish back in the tank because having him in a bucket could make things even more stressful. So far, in the bucket, he wasn't floating upside down. I put him in the tank...and now he is perfect. Very very interesting. I'm going to feed him and see how that goes.
I wonder what could have happened.

FlyinggFish
06/04/2010, 10:24 AM
So my LFS suggested that I put the fish back in the tank because having him in a bucket could make things even more stressful. So far, in the bucket, he wasn't floating upside down. I put him in the tank...and now he is perfect. Very very interesting. I'm going to feed him and see how that goes.
I wonder what could have happened.

Thank you for all the comments and responses. Hopefully he's make it another couple of years.