PDA

View Full Version : brain placement

rgentry123
06/01/2010, 07:04 PM
so i have a brain coral (not the open meaty kind, i think the common name is closed brain or maybe worm brain?) and i have it placed on a rock about a 1/4 of the way up in my tank and it's not looking really good. the ridges are completely white and the valley area is still green but not the really bright lime green it was when i first purchased it. My tank is a 110 tall, my lighting system is a 8 bulb tek light system- should i place it higher in the tank? i was under the impression that these corals liked a little less light but maybe i was misinformed..thanks!

RokleM
06/02/2010, 07:43 AM
Any pictures so we can see what type it is? "Brain" is a pretty open category many of our LPS get put in, with a wide variety of lighting and location recommendations.

areucrazy
06/02/2010, 08:47 AM
I have several different species of "BRAINS" (no wonder I hear so many voices....) LOL.... but anyway.... I too thought higher up in the tank was good for them but so far I have MOVED ALL of them to the bottom in the sand on top of little squares of that black plastic grid stuff to keep the flesh from being irritated by the sand. So far ALL of them have puffed up colored up and have stopped receding on the edges and have began to grow! So IMO the sand is the best for my BRAINS.... Good luck : )

whipit
06/02/2010, 08:55 AM
+! mine are on the sandbed also and are doing great!

footballdude2k3
06/02/2010, 10:19 AM
no matter what when you first get corals they should spend at least a little time on the sandbed to acclimate them to the lights. after that has been done you can start to move them up slowly until you have them in their final spots. somebody in my local club has most of his favias about halfway up the tank on his LR.