PDA

View Full Version : Most failsafe ATO

ahud
06/01/2010, 08:50 PM
What is the safest ATO to date?

I simply want to have a RO/DI reservoir that will hold enough water to keep me from having to do manual top offs every day.

I was thinking about going with the JBJ ATO system.

gonpostal
06/01/2010, 09:11 PM
I use a Tunze Osmolator. It has an optical sensor instead of a float switch. It's been very reliable.

jansenwrasse
06/01/2010, 09:41 PM
look in the mirror :)

I second the tunze great company and products

ahud
06/01/2010, 09:43 PM
They are a little on the high side.

epicfish
06/01/2010, 09:46 PM
They are a little on the high side.

Gotta pay to play. You DID ask for the "most failsafe". :)

Another vote for the Osmolator after I wrestled with the JBJ ATO for a few weeks.

tozzi
06/01/2010, 09:50 PM
tunze for sure

mutateddogbone
06/01/2010, 09:57 PM
cheaper way is float switch with killswitch slightly above it, and floatswitch hooked to solonoid valve next to it, on top of having the entire thing set on a timer for a few times a day.

Vegas.
06/01/2010, 10:17 PM
Anything that incorporates a float valve not a float switch.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1845917

ahud
06/01/2010, 10:30 PM
If I do go with the Tunze, all I need is a container to put the water in right?

And it is pretty safe to run it alone?

goochesfish
06/01/2010, 11:46 PM
Tunze osmolator is great. Yes you will need a reservoir for your fresh water but then you'll need to plumb the RO/DI unit to your reservoir. For that I use a solenoid valve on a timer and a kent float valve.

DustinB
06/02/2010, 07:49 AM
I had this same question lately. I decided on building my own. I will be using 2 float switches in series, if the main level control fails the backup will cut the circuit before overflowing. I will also be building mine with a normally open relay in case of some sort of electrical failure without the pump losing power. I will probably also add a timer controller to shut down if a long continuous flow happens.

Allmost
06/02/2010, 07:58 AM
Tunze wont fail,

all others will over time.

I have tested the Tunze models with Wave as well.

ahud
06/02/2010, 08:29 AM
I went with a tunze :)

Do you think it is failsafe enough to use a reservoir big enough to hold a week worth of top off?

Allmost
06/02/2010, 08:36 AM

Do you think it is failsafe enough to use a reservoir big enough to hold a week worth of top off?

my RO/DI is right under the kitchen sink, I have drilled a hole into the living room, and pulled the hose from RO/DI to a 5 G bucket placed right beside the tank (it has its own stand with all the dosing containers) installed a float valve in the 5G bucket, so when full the RO/DI will shut down. in that bucket is my Tunze pump, going into my sump. as added security, I drilled another hole on the 5G bucket, high up above the float valve so in case that fails, water will drain from that hole. have not had ANY Issues, and it requires no work :D fully automatic, and when I want to do water changes, I just remove the float valve in the 5G bucket and let it drain into a 55G bucket till that is full :)

you can fill up the 5G bucket (or bigger ) yourself though if you wish, but I cant imagine how a tunze would fail. I give the sensors a wipe every couple of months.

ahud
06/02/2010, 09:18 AM
Well my setup will be "semi auto" until I move out of my parents house. I should be moving out in the fall, so I guess I need to start reading about full automatic systems.

swenholz
06/02/2010, 09:34 AM
Anything that incorporates a float valve not a float switch.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1845917

I went with a much larger version of Vegas's gravity method and my water hasn't fluctuated more than 1/4" in 4 days. Before, I would have to add a gallon and a half every 3 days. I also hooked my RO to a float valve in the upper container, but I still have an inline valve since I didn't see the need to constantly feed the top-off container. It's always good to have a secondary way to isolate your system should something go wrong.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743394&page=4

For water changes, add salt to the bottom container, open the valve from the upper container, turn on pump to mix for a day of so. When the lower container is ready, put line from lower container into sump and line from pump in overflow to the sink, turn on both pumps, wait until bottom container is empty, turn off both pumps, enojoy happy reef...

Namnuta
06/02/2010, 09:52 AM

I have 2 weeks worth in my ATO reservoir when on vacation. Never had an issue.

With an ATO make sure you have a siphon break if needed. Many have installed these and not taken this into account, and have came home on day 2 with a full sump.