PDA

View Full Version : Want to Share

Sandy Williams
06/02/2010, 05:52 AM
Hi all,

It's been a while since I have posted, but I wanted to show off my new stand.

114903 114904

It's a before and after. I also got a ATO, which makes my skimmer work much better and new lights. But, I've been told that my new lights are not good enough to be able to get corals :sad2: My husband bought me 2 Coralife Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X18 Watt, 30 inch as a surprise. I put the two white lights in one fixture and the Actinic lights in the other. My husband doesn't know anything about my tank, but wanted to suprise me. The LFS told him that I would be able to anything I wanted to. But after talking to people I don't think I can. And since moving into the new stand, my temps are running a little high, so I have to fix that before I put anything else in. And I changed out the crushed coral substrate for sand. I really like that better.

Uncle Salty 05
06/02/2010, 07:10 AM
You can keep lots of corals with your lighting as long as your water quality is good, just stick to softies like mushrooms and leathers.

Sugar Magnolia
06/02/2010, 07:45 AM
I like that new stand. Very clean looking! :thumbsup:

Sandy Williams
06/02/2010, 07:50 AM
:wave: Thank you, as you can imagine, I was very happy to get it. I huge upgrage from concrete blocks :eek:

jchase1970
06/02/2010, 07:54 AM
i'ld use 3 white and 1 blue. you can mismatch bulbs in the same fixture. You should be able to grow most corals in that tank, anything really light demanding move to the top of the rock work. Par from the light is directly related to how much water it travels though.

FlyinggFish
06/02/2010, 08:08 AM
Beautiful stand!

Whisperer
06/02/2010, 08:31 AM
A bit nicer after but I would have used a darker stain to make the tank pop out. But that's just me.

Sandy Williams
06/16/2010, 10:30 AM
It matches all my trim and furniture in my LR. My OCD wouldn't let me have something that didn't match.

Daniel Reef
06/16/2010, 10:35 AM
I'm confused. Your OCD wouldn't let you have something that didn't match but the concrete blocks are okay?

DreamMachine
06/16/2010, 10:40 AM
Awesome stand/canopy upgrade, I love the enclosed look.

innate1
06/16/2010, 10:41 AM
She went with what she had to and when she got what she wanted it was the same color as the trim in the LR. I think it looks great. Nice upgrade.

Sandy Williams
06/16/2010, 10:50 AM
I cant even begin to tell you how much that bothered me. A friend built my cabinet for me in his spare time and I didnt want to pressure him to much. I'm a nut where things have to match and be even.

Sandy Williams
06/16/2010, 10:59 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. I am very proud of it. With that project out of the way, now I can move on to getting more stuff for it. :spin1:

InsaneClownFish
06/16/2010, 02:28 PM
You know what, Kudos for having the courage to start a reef tank with the bare minimum and upgrade at your own pace. These are tough times, and it shows a real love for the hobby to sit a tank on cinder blocks. ;)

The new stand looks great! What do you plan on keeping? Keep us updated...

mdb_talon
06/16/2010, 03:18 PM
On the lights I would not put things like SPS in there. Many softies will do ok and some can even do great. Various LPS could do well also. Sun coral for example is beautiful and light is mostly irrelevant.

robs.mark
06/16/2010, 06:41 PM
I think it looks great! Nothing better than watching your system evolve!

Sandy Williams
06/17/2010, 06:58 AM
Your right I do love this hobby, and I love my tank. I don't know why I didn't start it earlier. I guess I thought that I couldn't do it and it was to expensive. I traded a big bird cage for this tank, but it didn't come with a stand. That's how it ended up on blocks, my husband had 2 hours to come up with a solution before I got home with it that day. I was just so happy to have the tank that I didn't complain what it was sitting on. I hope to be getting some assorted softies this weekend, I am super excited about that. There are still some hardware things I want, but I'm working on that. And I'm still trying to find a home for the damsels that came with the tank. Who knew that a fish could be so mean.

chimmike
06/17/2010, 07:27 AM
I'm impressed that you know all about it and your husband doesn't! Women aquarists seem to have a different view/special touch that men don't, and their tanks usually show it.
Very nice!

reefbat
06/17/2010, 07:46 AM
Looks great, huge upgrade to the cinder block stand but it worked for it's intended purpose right. I like the color and if it matches with the rest of your furniture then that's a plus. Good job on the aquascaping after you moved it, gives it a much more open look than before, very nice :thumbsup:

Sandy Williams
06/17/2010, 08:29 AM
IMO, I think that it's a little harder for me as a woman. There are things I need, like I would love to have the sump plumming different, but I dont know the first thing about plumbing and I know theres a better way to handle the electric. I would really like to have a switch that I could turn off the pumps when I feed. My husband is very handy with plumbing and electrial stuff, but time is the one thing he is short on. Things like that I have trouble with.

ERICinFL
06/17/2010, 08:36 AM
My husband bought me 2 Coralife Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X18 Watt, 30 inch as a surprise... My husband doesn't know anything about my tank, but wanted to suprise me.

I know the feeling. My wife bought me two, fake corals for Christmas years ago (a few months after I set up my tank). She was so excited to surprise me with them and I was touched that she thought to get me something for the tank. When she asked, "Do you like them?" I said, "Of course" (they did look nice). A few days later, I had to explain that I appreciated the gesture, but I didn't want them in the tank. She understood, took them back and bought me real corals. :D Just sit your hubby down and ask him to discuss things you like, need, want, before he surprises you with things. :lol: Great looking stand and tank by-the-way. It just get's more fun from here.

TripleT
06/17/2010, 08:40 AM
I'm confused. Your OCD wouldn't let you have something that didn't match but the concrete blocks are okay?

You don't know... maybe she lives in a concrete block house.

ERICinFL
06/17/2010, 08:45 AM
I'm impressed that you know all about it and your husband doesn't! Women aquarists seem to have a different view/special touch that men don't, and their tanks usually show it.
Very nice!

I think it's the maternal instinct. They put the same time/care into things they love, as if it was their child. My wife has a good understanding of the tank and get's on me if things aren't looking right. Sometimes she'll have to remind me it's time for a water change. :) When things die, she really get's upset (as do my daughters). I've had to actually bury two fish (due to size) and two other's have had a "burial at sea" (flush!). :lol: They'll even say a little something about what they loved about the fish.

Sandy Williams
06/22/2010, 07:37 AM
I'm so disapointed :( I didn't get my softies this weekend. It just didn't work out. I'll keep looking maybe I'll come across something else.

I still am trying to catch my damsels, without tearing my tank apart. My Lemon Damsels are evil.

I can't believe that I went a whole weekend without spending anything on my tank. Oh well, there's next weekend. :spin1: All in all, it was a very quite weekend.

TripleT
06/22/2010, 04:49 PM
I still am trying to catch my damsels, without tearing my tank apart.

Have you tried a soda bottle trap?

Sandy Williams
06/23/2010, 05:45 AM
no, I didn't think about that.