PDA

View Full Version : What kind of calcium reactor media do you use?

jtrasap
06/02/2010, 12:20 PM
Just as the title says: What kind of calcium reactor media do you use?

I'd like to get a general consensus and some pros-n-cons of different medias.

I'm going to be setting up my calcium reactor next week(ish) and haven't decided on a media yet......any recommendations?

reefer96
06/02/2010, 12:28 PM
Extra large Carib sea media

Znut Reefer
06/02/2010, 01:12 PM
I was using the GenX. But it's not avail anymore so I hear.

Gawain1974
06/02/2010, 01:28 PM
I use ARM....it comes in two sizes, and I use the stuff that looks like crushed coral.

gasman059
06/02/2010, 02:34 PM
large ARM

jb61264
06/02/2010, 02:36 PM
I use ARM course media

jtrasap
06/03/2010, 07:07 AM
Anyone else wanna chime in?

2B Reefer
06/03/2010, 07:23 AM
Coarse ARM, I use a higher bubble rate and found the granular size melted to fast and didn't give me the Calcium levels I was looking for.

RokleM
06/03/2010, 07:37 AM
Depends on the reactor. Some work better with different types of media.

On my GEO's, I use a mixture of Gen-X, large grain ARM, and Zeomag.

jtrasap
06/03/2010, 08:30 AM
Depends on the reactor. Some work better with different types of media.

On my GEO's, I use a mixture of Gen-X, large grain ARM, and Zeomag.

Eric, any certain reason for mixing the three? I've had a couple people locally recommend the Gen-x but said that they couldn't find it the last time they went to purchase some. Znut, a few responses back, mentioned it not being available anymore as well.

Reef 101
06/03/2010, 10:52 AM
Extra large Carib sea media I got in trouble for using this above brand and listing it here.:wavehand:

RokleM
06/04/2010, 06:46 AM
Eric, any certain reason for mixing the three? I've had a couple people locally recommend the Gen-x but said that they couldn't find it the last time they went to purchase some. Znut, a few responses back, mentioned it not being available anymore as well.

Yeah, it's been harder and harder to find it over the years. I'm not sure if it's readily available anymore. I use to have it shipped from PremiumAquatics or pick it up local at PhishyBusiness.

I actually put it in that order bottom up (largest grain, medium grain, zeomag). Although I'm not sure if it's proven or anything like that, it seems to me that putting larger grain media on the bottom on an upflow reactor will create hopefully a somewhat even flow through the rest of the reactor. If you pack small grain media in at the bottom, I would find it likely that channels could start in that area. As well, that's the heaviest flow area of the reactor and seems to be the place the media typically dissolves the fastest. By the time I clean my reactor and media, almost everything is about the same size.

So not as much science or anything, but just what seems to have worked well for me over the years. When I clean the reactor and media every once in a while, I typically put in new fresh large grain (gen-x when possible) on the bottom. Dependent on how much I have left after cleaning (run all the old media under a faucet to clean it off of debris and partially dissolved material), I'll mix in what remained with the arm large, and then top off with fresh zeomag. In the end I come up with largest grain on the bottom, smallest grain on top.