PDA

View Full Version : Newly spawned hermit crab.

jchase1970
06/02/2010, 11:45 PM
I have seen 3 spawnings of hermits in my tank in 2 weeks. Each time after the lights go out. Each time I notice it the same way, my cardinals going nuts feeding.

I saw it again tonight, I missed most of it but I got video of some of the spawning and I caught a larva hermit crab. I put him under the microscope took some pictures and a video of him.

I have to do some editing of the videos and I am having computer cable issues tonight. but here is a link to my youtube showing the baby hermit under the scope. It's a short clip, I'll get the rest of it up and pictures tomorrow maybe.

for your enjoyment, drum roll please.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7zZJnFdprE

This is bad quality because of my cable issues, I have much better quality to upload later.

jchase1970
06/02/2010, 11:55 PM
the spawning video I got show the carnage of cardinals and clowns feasting.

nvdiz
06/03/2010, 06:07 AM
That is pretty sweet... My SPS would love some of that

sahin
06/03/2010, 06:43 AM
That is pretty sweet... My SPS would love some of that

In the past couple of months I have had 3 spawning as well. But I can tell you the larvae are too big for SPS and too small for LPS, maybe fragspawn can catch them...anyway, non survive.

khmerspec
06/03/2010, 07:01 AM
Great stuff.

I get trilled to watch things get born in my tank....(it sounds a bit off but makes sence in my head)

But its like an all time achievement, tnak wise

sahin
06/04/2010, 04:30 AM
Great stuff.

I get trilled to watch things get born in my tank....(it sounds a bit off but makes sence in my head)

But its like an all time achievement, tnak wise

There was another spawning of hermit larvae last night. I got a torch to look at the tank and saw the tiny creatures swim towards the light and congregate near the light. They just dont survive though.

jchase1970
06/04/2010, 09:51 AM
There was another spawning of hermit larvae last night. I got a torch to look at the tank and saw the tiny creatures swim towards the light and congregate near the light. They just dont survive though.

There are alot of larva per spawing from a single crab, 200+. But in our tanks they are doomed. They are swimmers in the first several stages of life and are most likely to get sucked into the overflow and skimmed out. Ones that stay out of the overflow are easy targets for fish. They are good size and easy to spot, my fish go nuts over them.

I thought about trying to raise a few I caught in another tank, but decide I didn't want to, maybe I'll try later, it should be easy because they are large enough that they should be able to feed off of phtyo, rotifers and larva copepods.

jchase1970
06/06/2010, 09:22 PM
Has anyone used any movie editing software for the PC. I'm trying to edit the clip of the hermit crab releasing the larva and I have never done any movie editing.

My first problem was having to convert the .cpp file the phone records in to .avi, I found some free software for this, but If I could fine movie editing software that doesn't require that conversion that would be even better.