PDA

View Full Version : I've kept RBTA before, how about LTA?

heuerfan
06/03/2010, 01:54 PM
I've kept RBTA's for many years and recently saw this online. It kinda of looks like a flame bta and i've been looking for one. How difficult is it to keep LTA? I've kept RBTA under power compacts, t5's and halides. Are they pretty much the same? Do they retain the colors? Would hate to buy this and have the color fade a month later. I plan on putting this in a tank that is 16" high under 4x24watt HOT5.

Thanks for your advice,
Steven

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Detail.aspx?ID=26147&ReturnPage=%2fShowProductCategory.aspx%3fCategoryId%3d80%23HP+MA2147

Toddrtrex
06/03/2010, 02:32 PM
Do you have a sandbed? If, yes how deep? (( LTAs, M. doreensis, are sand dwelling ))

What size tank?

Individual reflectors?

How much flow? (( they aren't fans of lots of flow )).

IMO, BTAs are a lot easier to keep and more forgiving. The biggest issue with LTAs, is getting a healthy one and having them settle in.

heuerfan
06/03/2010, 02:42 PM
Do you have a sandbed? If, yes how deep? (( LTAs, M. doreensis, are sand dwelling ))

What size tank?

Individual reflectors?

How much flow? (( they aren't fans of lots of flow )).

IMO, BTAs are a lot easier to keep and more forgiving. The biggest issue with LTAs, is getting a healthy one and having them settle in.

Its a 28 gallon, individual reflectors, flow controlled by vortech mp10es. It will be the only think in the tank. And yes shallow sandbed only, 1-2 inches.

Perhaps I should reconsider keeping this especially when it cost $200.00 and I cannot see it in person to inspect the foot.

t4zalews
06/03/2010, 02:50 PM
In my experience, LTA are easier to keep than Bubble tips. I've had more problems keeping bubble tips healthy than a long tentacle.

heuerfan
06/03/2010, 03:02 PM
In my experience, LTA are easier to keep than Bubble tips. I've had more problems keeping bubble tips healthy than a long tentacle.

Thats very interesting to hear, perhaps bad specimen? I've even kept them in a 7 gallon nano under 32 watt power compacts and they did great.

Toddrtrex
06/03/2010, 03:16 PM
Its a 28 gallon, individual reflectors, flow controlled by vortech mp10es. It will be the only think in the tank. And yes shallow sandbed only, 1-2 inches.

Perhaps I should reconsider keeping this especially when it cost $200.00 and I cannot see it in person to inspect the foot.

That sized tank is about as small as I would go for an LTA. 1-2 inches might work for a small one, but once it gets larger that won't be deep enough.

gia3161
06/04/2010, 08:04 AM
how can u tell a healthy LTA from an unhealthy one? i know things like bleaching and un sticky foot/tentacles but what else should we be looking for when choosing a specimen?

Toddrtrex
06/04/2010, 08:55 AM
Its mouth should be tightly closed, should have no damage to the foot (( Have seen too many that have a "hole" in the bottom of the foot, that don't recover )), and should be attached and not just floating around.