PDA

View Full Version : Live Food Cultures

Romulox234
06/03/2010, 07:24 PM
As of right now i am culturing phytoplankton, i have 4 2L bottles of the stuff and i would like to try my hand at culturing other live foods for my aquarium.
What diffrent types of food are available to be home cultured and which one would be a good idea to start out with?

I was thinking of some live foods that i would be able to keep around for a while so that i can feed my tank a little bit everyday. I only have a 60g tank with a 15g sump so overfeeding would definiatly be an issue.

sterling18
06/03/2010, 07:28 PM
You can culture, rotifers, brine shrimp, and copepods.

All are pretty simple and would consume your phytoplankton.

easy2remember
06/03/2010, 08:06 PM
you can easily get a ten gallon tank with an airstone and add some tank water, live copepods and pour in some phyto till the water turns to a light green and when the water gets clear, it means that theyve consumed all the food and thats when you add more phyto.

FMarini
06/03/2010, 09:19 PM
you might want to read this thread--
Microfood culture: phytoplanktons, Rotifers, ciliates, Artemia, and copepods
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135137

its great info on a bunch of microfood cultures that you can do at home

Romulox234
06/03/2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the link ill definiatly look at the information there

jchase1970
06/04/2010, 09:42 AM
i culture phyto, copepods, and brine shrimp, all very easy.

Something I can point out on copepods when you culture them you may see adult ons on the tank, but the water is full of larva you can't see. When I look at a drop of water from the culture tank under a mircoscope the water is full of tine copepods developing. I was awed the first time I did it. You have 1000's of babys for every aldut you see in the tank, so don't be dishearted about not seeing a full tank of copepods, it's fuller then you would think.

Brine shrimp, If you grow them out are a good treat for the fish to chase around too. They really enjoy them, not the most nutritious item, so keep them in alot of phyto to keep them gut loaded and use as a supplement with other foods.