PDA

View Full Version : How to care for 2" clams

Shooter9er
05/08/2003, 10:50 AM
Are 2-3" clams really that much harder to keep at the initial stages? What do they require that the larger ones don't. I am looking to buy 2 clams from the logical reef and just wanted to get as much information about these smaller clams first.

TIA,

Kyle

mracroman
05/08/2003, 11:10 AM
the main reason that they are more difficult is that at 2" they do not have a well established mantle, so they need supplimental feeding. Larger clams can get use light in order to gain nutrition, however the smaller ones need to be fed DT's phyto or something along those line to ensure that the clams don't starve.

Peabody
05/08/2003, 12:15 PM
Correct. Also since feeding the tank DTs usually doesn't give baby clams enough (and isn't economical to do in proper amounts for babies) most people take the babies out 2-3 times a week and "bowl feed" them. I fill a bowl with tank water, turn it light green with DTs, and add a drop of two of Selcon (I've heard Vitamin B is very important for growing clams...I think it was Daniel Knop who said it). I float the bowl in my sump, and in 30 minutes or so they turn the water clear :)

With this 3 times weekly feeding and steady CA and ALK thanks to my reactor, my pair of baby Maximas put on 1cm of shell last month :) :)