PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody use H2O life frozen food?

psilentchild
06/04/2010, 07:46 PM
I was thinking about ordering my frozen food online in bulk instead of every month.I was looking on doctorfostersmith web page and they had H2O life frozen foods and they sound good but I haven heard of it before well nither of my lfs sell it.Can somebody advise me on if it is a good brand or not.

Stanley-Reefer
06/04/2010, 08:10 PM
I tried some of the variety bag--for herbivores and carnivores and the fish really hit it hard! I also got some fusion and the coral food....so far so good and I like the way it disperses in the current. sort of like cotton instead of "everywhere" like Rods--although I use Rods too.

I'll get more when I'm out.

gasman059
06/04/2010, 08:53 PM
I have tried it as well as many many others, IMO there's way too much extra stuff the ends up getting your tank dirty for no reason.

Currently I use (roggers reeffood) and it has all that i want and nothing I don't!. feeds my fish and my corals all in one motion.

flameangel88
06/04/2010, 09:36 PM
I was thinking about ordering my frozen food online in bulk instead of every month.I was looking on doctorfostersmith web page and they had H2O life frozen foods and they sound good but I haven heard of it before well nither of my lfs sell it.Can somebody advise me on if it is a good brand or not.

I usually buy online 2-3 times a year and I was going to post a thread similar this one back in beginning of May but decided to go ahead and give it a try. If I remember right this Brand has been out since late 2008 (see user comments on MarineDepot website).

All in all I bought 14lbs of the following:
H2O Life Fish & Reef #1 & #2 Variety Pack Frozen Fish Food
H2O Life Pro-Variety Mix Frozen Fish Food Sm/Med
H2O Life Pro-Variety Mix Frozen Fish Food Large
H2O Life Spirulina Brine Shrimp & Mysis Frozen Fish Food
H2O Life 50/50 Plus Mysis Frozen Fish Food

My experience so far is that I see some left over shells flowing in the tank after the fish finish eating and the water appears to be a bit more cloudy and the skimmer has been skimming more since I started using this product. The fishes seem to eat most of the above with the exception of Pro-Variety Mix Large. Even my 8" Crosshatch is not too crazy about the Large Pro-Variety Mix.

Only been 3 weeks of use so I really can't tell the effect on the fish yet but by the time I'm done with the 14lbs I'll be able to tell if the fishes goten any better. I still supplement with NLS pellets prior to feeding fozen, couple cubes of Angel & Butterfly Diet (best food and I never seen any left over) and nori everyday.

maynardjames
06/04/2010, 09:38 PM
tried the mixed 1lb cubes. the fish liked it & i did because didnt have to sqeeze out of package like most frozen cubes. will probably buy again

gasman059
06/04/2010, 09:58 PM
The main problem with all of the frozen foods are fillers and so forth and all of the disadvantages.

roggersreeffood is made by a hobbyist and a chef= best ingredients and many moons of experience.
BTW he's one of the speakers at this years MACNA in Orlando

Eric the half-bee
06/04/2010, 10:08 PM
I've used this brand as well. My fish gobbled it up. Gasman, I'm gonna look into rogger's.

gasman059
06/04/2010, 10:12 PM
I've used this brand as well. My fish gobbled it up. Gasman, I'm gonna look into rogger's.

never looked back. There's no other mix that has stuff like selcon and ciclopeeze all in one.

psilentchild
06/04/2010, 10:54 PM
Is roggers reef food good for all fish?

gasman059
06/05/2010, 04:04 AM
Is roggers reef food good for all fish?

Yup
itmay also grow hair on u if you are bold jk
I've fed moorish idols/venustus/coperbands and many many finnicky eaters wo problems

JuliusJames
06/05/2010, 04:22 AM
Might have to try roggers.. I've never seen it at any local fish stores. Are they new and where can I buy them from?

gasman059
06/05/2010, 06:06 AM
Might have to try roggers.. I've never seen it at any local fish stores. Are they new and where can I buy them from?

www.roggersreeffood.com

It's available for me everywhere here in south fla, but I do believe Drs. Foster and Smith carries it. Anyways check out the site and all of the retailers

Stanley-Reefer
06/05/2010, 06:16 AM
Dr f/s carrying in July--I'll try it then!!!

I put alot of stock in what some members recommend--Gasman, I saw your comment on Roger's almost a year ago but all the locations were in FL....Having ordered from f/s I know the food will come in perfect condition and the price will be right too.

It's on my July to do list!

pktech
06/05/2010, 07:21 AM
no problem w/ the H20 line for me except my Collare never accepted it - that's his problem / was ... the other frozen my guys go nuts for is "marine cuisine" ... I mix the 2 & hit it w/ a few drops of Zoecon in the morning ....

gasman059
06/05/2010, 07:41 AM
no problem w/ the H20 line for me except my Collare never accepted it - that's his problem / was ... the other frozen my guys go nuts for is "marine cuisine" ... I mix the 2 & hit it w/ a few drops of Zoecon in the morning ....
Again I use to mix all that stuff and it was painful this blend has lobster/shrimps/aloe Vera/selcon/vitamins and tons of other great stuff with no fillers.
Made by a hobbyists after many trials and tribulations.

I love the fact that it stays together fed from a clip/mesh and it's all in one wo mixing ITS All in one.

I've personally seen this food hand made and what goes into it (no ties for me btw) it's prime stuff for our prime fishies

Eric the half-bee
06/05/2010, 08:03 AM
never looked back. There's no other mix that has stuff like selcon and ciclopeeze all in one.

Only problem is the portions are too small. I like to buy 1-2 lb size bags so it will justify the shipping charge.

psilentchild
06/05/2010, 10:23 AM
Since dfs will start selling it in july I will try both of them then.Since both of them sound better than what I been using which is San Fransico Bay.It might save me money from buying selcon and vitachem since it has vitamins and selcon in it.

RealReef7
06/05/2010, 10:55 AM
ive never used H20, but I am currently happy with NLS pellets and formula 1 cubes.

username in use
06/05/2010, 11:23 AM
I use h20 50/50 blend and like it alot. I thaw out the cube and stir it really well then let the large stuff settle to the bottom and decant off all the water. All I end up with are the good pieces and no cloudy stuff or little bits floating around.

SDguy
06/05/2010, 11:58 AM
My fish don't care for H2O brand mysis. It's the only product from them I tried.

rssjsb
06/05/2010, 12:12 PM
My fish don't care for H2O brand mysis. It's the only product from them I tried.I've had a similar experience. The smaller ones like Hikari better, and the bigger ones love PE mysis.

blface
06/05/2010, 06:02 PM
I love their products. I feed my 220 FOWLR with the #1 ,#2, & brine/mysis.
I really like the #1 for my fish due to there being larger particles that my MI
& 7 angels love. I have 2 cubes thawing as I type with 1 cube of Hikari Spirulina
Brine mixed in. The founder was the original maker of the formula lines of food.
My fish are all very happy, colorful & fat.

psilentchild
06/05/2010, 06:15 PM
So how would this work?H2O chunky squid,H2O life mussel on half shell or H2O life scullops on half shell,H2O life fish & reef#2,H2O life marine fusion,P.E mysis, and roggers reef food.I would alternate between the h2o and roggers reef food.

SDguy
06/05/2010, 06:33 PM
I've had a similar experience. The smaller ones like Hikari better, and the bigger ones love PE mysis.

Yup, my fish much prefer the Hikari for the smaller size as well. No idea why. The H2O mysis seems to be a bit too hard, or "prickly" for my fish.

gasman059
06/06/2010, 04:50 PM
Yup, my fish much prefer the Hikari for the smaller size as well. No idea why. The H2O mysis seems to be a bit too hard, or "prickly" for my fish.

Peter have you find any advantage in feeding mysis? No nutrition at all IME

SDguy
06/06/2010, 08:27 PM
Peter have you find any advantage in feeding mysis? No nutrition at all IME

Hmmm, how can you tell? Between all the other food I feed, I'd be hard pressed to say one is better for my fish than another. I can only observe what they like. They LOVE minced scallop and shrimp (from the grocery store) and PE mysis. They are OK with Hikari mysis... some fish (that eat anything, really) will eat the H2O brand mysis. They all love NLS pellets too.

gasman059
06/07/2010, 05:43 AM
Not really Peter I can't tell,, but i do know that mysis alone will provide no long term nutritional value, I just wanted to point that out ( not for you).

I would love to live on beer and pizza but getting to old for that LOL

psilentchild
06/07/2010, 06:58 AM
So gasman what do you think about the list of food that I posted?Its on the first page.

The Reef Expert
06/07/2010, 06:58 AM
They have label appeal, I would think the foods are pretty good!

gasman059
06/07/2010, 07:57 AM
So gasman what do you think about the list of food that I posted?Its on the first page.

I think is great! Waaay to much work for me, I found that using RRF it's all in one and ready to go

roblack
06/07/2010, 09:16 AM
My fish eat Rogger's Reef Food exclusively, except for when I'm out of town and have to use the auto feeder. The green is my fav, the fish seem to love it too. Rogger's mesh feeding system makes feeding a breeze, just break off a chunk and throw it in the mesh food holder and drop in. Happy fish! I used to do all kinds of blends and mixes, with aminos and vitamins and garlic and what not. Now I just throw in Rogger's food, he's done all the work for me. Tangs, CB butterfly, anthias, cardinals, wrasses, and gobies all love it. My corals eat it too. I hear he is working on a dry food variety, Rogger's Sushi Balls.

SDguy
06/07/2010, 09:56 AM
Not really Peter I can't tell,, but i do know that mysis alone will provide no long term nutritional value, I just wanted to point that out ( not for you).

Are you thinking of brine shrimp?

While I agree variety is great, don't folks keep CBB and seahorses on mysis for years?

psilentchild
06/07/2010, 10:50 AM
My main concern is feeding my trigger and large enough peices that would get my orange shoulder tang full.Because now it like the pieces are to small for him to get full.

uhuru
06/07/2010, 12:12 PM
I'm not a fan of h20 life foods so far. Their mini mysis is far from mini, and on way too many occasions there has been other crap in there. I do like that their silversides are individually frozen. My fish won't touch the krill.

SDguy
06/07/2010, 12:55 PM
and on way too many occasions there has been other crap in there.

Like the baby fish? :lol: It always kinda creeps me out when I see my fish eat those. Gross...

psilentchild
06/07/2010, 02:14 PM
Gasman do you use the feeding clip?How many cube do you feed a day?

Fish2reef
06/07/2010, 03:18 PM
Like most I have tried all different brands of dry and frozen from the first formula 1 when it came out to recent ORA paste, I have not found any food that caused a feeding frenzy like Rogger’s Fish Food must admit I am a little bias because I have seen Rogger’s tanks and know exactly what he puts in his food. If you have not tried it give a chance and you will see what I mean.

psilentchild
06/07/2010, 06:41 PM
Which one would be better for triggers chunky squid,mussels on half shell, or scallops on half shell?

gasman059
06/07/2010, 08:53 PM
Gasman do you use the feeding clip?How many cube do you feed a day?

I do use the mesh/clip due to the consistency of the food. I feed once every other day. Sometimes every 3 days.

Its nopt a cube but a piece of the frozen, HTH

klepto
06/07/2010, 09:02 PM

Mysis are definitely sound nutritionally. I brought a pair of WC tomato clowns to peak condition using Piscene Energetics mysis (almost exclusively) along with numerous other fishes (including a starved Synchiropus picturatus). And like Peter, I also know of plenty of aquariums that use PE as a foundation for seahorse diets. Some cheaper brands have poor nutritional content, but that doesn't mean that all mysis has no long term value.

TorryRx
06/08/2010, 06:33 PM
I also feed Rogger's Reef Food exclusively. Every time I've tried anything else, I've regretted it!

I know most people use the clip, but I chop it up in small pieces and thaw them a bit in a cup of tankwater. It works great that way as well.

HTH!

psilentchild
06/09/2010, 07:11 PM
How much is shipping for roggers fish food?

psilentchild
06/10/2010, 02:47 PM
Can anybody answer the question about shipping?

Fish2reef
06/10/2010, 04:39 PM
Luckily I get it at most of my local fish stores I believe Dr Foster & Smith carries it and will be featured in their upcoming catalog.

psilentchild
06/10/2010, 05:01 PM
They dont carry it yet.According to rogersreeffood.com drsfostersmith will start carrying it in July but it doesn't say when in July.I called drsfostersmith to see when in July and they didn't have a clue.I will need to make an order around the first of July so I might have to order from rogersreeffod himself.So I'm trying to budget my money for then.So I would like to know how much does rogersreeffood.com charge for shipping.

gasman059
06/16/2010, 05:50 PM
They dont carry it yet.According to rogersreeffood.com drsfostersmith will start carrying it in July but it doesn't say when in July.I called drsfostersmith to see when in July and they didn't have a clue.I will need to make an order around the first of July so I might have to order from rogersreeffod himself.So I'm trying to budget my money for then.So I would like to know how much does rogersreeffood.com charge for shipping.

Well or me it's local but I think if u order $100 worth of it you get free shipping. In the past my friends out of state have put together orders to void paying for single food orders.
Hth

psilentchild
07/02/2010, 08:16 PM
Gasman I got rogger's reef food today and my fish arent to crazy about.Especially the trigger and orange shoulder tang.

gasman059
07/02/2010, 09:04 PM
Gasman I got rogger's reef food today and my fish arent to crazy about.Especially the trigger and orange shoulder tang.

Patience my friend like everything in this hobby- fish are not use to eating out of a clip if you are using one but they will and that's all you will need.

There's tons of us using this blend with excellent results. IME once they get on to there's no stopping them. C clip= food and viola:beer:

BTW where did you get it?

psilentchild
07/02/2010, 09:17 PM
Drfostersmith started selling it 2 days ago.I feed nori on a clip so some of them are use to eating off a clip.I bought both blends.My orange shoulder tang wont eat off a clip.So I just put some in the tank and both the trigger and tang spit it out.Should I mix both blends at once or one at a time?

gasman059
07/03/2010, 08:32 PM
I would use either or. I believe the only difference is the spirulina on the complete blend.

Feed onlu one at at time and avoid all others that is if u feed pellets/flakes or all of them other food.

psilentchild
07/03/2010, 10:47 PM
I'm going to try it again tomorrow and see what happens.

psilentchild
07/04/2010, 09:57 AM
Still didnt work.My clowns dont come out unless its time to eat and they dont know its time to eat when I put it on a clip.Plus there was a lot of biting and spiting out.I dont't know what else to do.I don't want my fish to stave while they try to adjust to the new food.I have switch food before and they didnt mind the change so I dont know what the problem is now.I will keep trying till tuesday and if it hasn't work by then I'm going back to my old food.Whats sucks is I just spent $100 on food thats not being eating.

reef_doug
07/04/2010, 05:33 PM
What's the difference between rogger's food and rod's food?

gasman059
07/04/2010, 08:19 PM
psilentchild--I would just leave the food in the mesh( a day or two no issues whatsoever since it does not go all over the place.
Tha's what I would do. HTH

psilentchild
07/05/2010, 10:24 AM
Did your fish bite and spit it out when you first started it?

TripleT
07/05/2010, 10:52 AM
Still didnt work.My clowns dont come out unless its time to eat and they dont know its time to eat when I put it on a clip.Plus there was a lot of biting and spiting out.I dont't know what else to do.I don't want my fish to stave while they try to adjust to the new food.I have switch food before and they didnt mind the change so I dont know what the problem is now.I will keep trying till tuesday and if it hasn't work by then I'm going back to my old food.Whats sucks is I just spent $100 on food thats not being eating.

I'm guessing they will come around.

I'd feed them the old and new food, mixed together. And not too much at once.

And wrap the surplus up extra well to delay freezer burn.

psilentchild
07/05/2010, 08:59 PM
I don't understand what the problem is.I switched from frozen to flake till my order came in and my fish didn't have a problem with the switch.I have never fed them flake before and my trigger eats anything.Will they stop biting and spitting it out or by them spitting it out means that they just don't like it?