PDA

View Full Version : Electrical question

GPhiAce
06/05/2010, 12:53 PM
I am getting a flicker of the ceiling fan lights when my chiller turns on. What should I do?

A little background. I recently set up the current tank. As far as electrical equipment, I have a Genx40, Iwaki 55rlt, 1/4hp chiller, 2x250w MH Icecap eballast, ACjr, 200w heater (rarely on), MP40w. The only equipment that I am planning on adding is a IceCap 660 pushing 330w VHO and maybe an EcoMarine battery backup. Everything is plugged into either my DC8 or a 3500 joule Surge protector. This is all in the same room/same circuit. Due to layout, I believe that is my only option for now. My kitchen (refrigerator outlet) is 20 feet away. The wall outlets that the surge protector and DC8 are plugged in are standard. They are plugged into separate outlets, but they are on the same fuse. The fuse is labeled as a 15 Amps in the fuse box. I also have a TV and cable box in the room.

Now I am not electrical savvy at all. What should i do???? Will switching the outlets to GFCIs help? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

reefrick.M
06/05/2010, 02:45 PM
Switching to GFI's will do nothing for your problem. Your compressor in your chiller is drawing high amps at it's start up(LRA). This is causing your lights to flicker. You would be wise to move it to a different circuit with a 20 amp breaker or fuse and 12 gauge wire. Just as your window AC should be on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. But then again very few do.

iamwrasseman
06/05/2010, 03:11 PM
you would have to run a dedicated circuit for the chiller and be sure it is on the opposite side of the breaker box from that light . you will possibly find that other things will flicker once you run this line as it does pull some high amps upon start up . your washer does it and your refrigerator will also do it so its just something that happens and it may be something not to worry about but you should have an electrician look at it to be sure .