PDA

View Full Version : Stressed Blenny!

Praben
06/05/2010, 07:59 PM
My lawnmower blenny jumped into my return area (125gal corner drilled). I got him out by draining the area very low and then using a net. Once I put him in the tank he stayed at the top of the water for a few minutes, seemingly searching the surface. Then he went down and is chilling on his side, head on a rock, body on the sand (hasn't moved much, if at all, in 15 minutes). Was breathing very heavy, it very slow now.

Is there anything I can do to help him out? He is not looking in the greatest shape, I don't want him to die and don't want to make anything worse! Hope this post isn't totally retarded, I'm concerned.

TripleT
06/05/2010, 08:06 PM
What are you feeding, and how much?

What size is the tank, and what else is in it?

What are your water parameters? Including ammonia, nitrite, PH, and temperature?

Is there algae in the tank for grazing?

Get prepared to do a large water change if necessary. Depending on your water parameters, this could boost his immune system, and maybe save his life.

Freshly mixed salt isn't best, so get mixing ASAP if you think a water change is in your very near future. Mixing for at least 24 hours is best practice.

How are your other fish doing?

Any recent changes, maintenance, power loss, etc?

TripleT
06/05/2010, 08:08 PM
And how is the flow in the system? What sort of pumps/powerheads?

Is there good surface agitation to provide oxygen exchange?

Are you running a protein skimmer?

Praben
06/05/2010, 08:42 PM
Woah! Last check of levels (yesterday):

Salinity: 1.026
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
pH: 8.0 - 8.2 (color looked in between)
Nitrate: 5
Calcium: 420
Phosphate: 0
kH: 8 dkH

Tank is 125gal. Includes 2 green chromis, 1 lawn blenny (subject), 1 ss star, 5 blue hermits, 1 red hermit, 10 nars snails, 15 cerith snails, 2 mex turbos, 5 astrea snails, few zoas, ricordias, gsp.

There is a good bit of algae for sure! Feeding flake food, every 2 days. Trying not to over do it. I wet the food and drop a little in at a time to ensure its eaten. (the blenny generally goes after it and spits it out).

Everything else in tank is fine. I had (or have) 2 peppermint shrimp. I swear they died a month ago for no reason as I found a small piece, everyone on here convinced me they molted and hid. Still haven't seen them though.

Water changes have been as such each month (for 3 months). Week 1 no change, Week 2 10% change, Week 3 no change, Week 4 20% change.

My thank is about 4-5 months old. Has a 30 something gal refugium with Cheato and Calarpia. I run a protein skimmer and uv sterilizer. I hvae an 1800gph return pump. 2 1050gph powerheads, my spaybar runs about 800gph (i think). Great suface breakage of oxygen, same in fuge.

Nothing unusual has been done lately. I added my 3rd small ricordia 2-3 days ago.

I think he's wigged out due to getting fished out the return area. He is still on the rock, breathing but not looking good....

rayn
06/05/2010, 08:55 PM
This just happened to mine the other week. I have a hang on overflow and just let him ride it down to my fuge then caught him there. Watch him and give him a little time. Mine came out of it in a few hours.

TripleT
06/05/2010, 09:02 PM
Sounds like a good setup. And that you know what you're doing.

And your water seems to be a decent shape as well, and adequately aerated.

I'm not sure what else you should do.

Assuming he hangs on, I think I would focus on nutrition. I'd offer frozen preparations for herbivores, and seaweed sheets... every day until he shows signs of improvement.

And soak in supplements if he eats these.

My bicolor blenny breathes hard after being spooked, tank maintenance, and such. But he usually calms down within an hour. Hopefully yours is doing something similar.

TripleT
06/05/2010, 09:10 PM
Forgot to ask... is your tank covered?

If he is prone to this behavior now (jumping) you don't want the poor guy killing himself.

Last year I had a diamond goby that jumped into my overflow about a week after I got him. I moved him back into the tank.

The next night, he jumped out of the tank through a small opening (I was running a temporary canister, and the opening was for the tubing).

Praben
06/05/2010, 09:14 PM
I'm by far still a newbie, but a minimum of an hour of research and reading each day for the last 6 months is helping. This hobby is insane and I wish I didn't start it, because I have a stack of receipts 2 inches thick from all my purchases since I started and I'm scared to total it up. But I love it at the same time.

What type of frozens would you recommend? I've only used flake up to this point.

He finally moved of his "dead" looking position and is chillin on the sand in a more normal position. Still looks unhappy, but better. I think he just got overly stressed with all the excitement, or unpleasentness.

I'm going to try and cover my returns tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Praben
06/05/2010, 09:16 PM
Ya no cover. I have virtually no openings in the canopy, few very small for air. This is 1st time he attempted this in 2 months I've had him. My green chromis did it a few weeks ago too though. I would prefer to just block off the returns, but if that would be useless? I'm open to suggestions, more detail the better! Thanks!

TripleT
06/05/2010, 09:31 PM
Variety is the best thing you can offer. Here are a few things to try:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-928239-fish-supplies.jpg

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg-12075-49815-fish-food.jpg

http://www.instantocean.com/images/instantocean/catalog/IN16017%20IOSBHD2_82oz%2007-09.jpg_54044_268x268.jpg

Your LFS's freezer should have at least a few items designated for herbivores.

Tuscaquatics
06/05/2010, 09:59 PM
Mine eats everything and I swear he's getting too fat. They all love nori, so definitely get him some of that. Mine also eats flakes, mysids, brine shrimp, krill, silversides, scallop, anything I give to the rest of the tank. When I stand in front of the tank he floats right in the middle in front of me begging for food. Like others said, just try a variety and find out what he likes; you might find out that he likes everything.

Praben
06/05/2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the info guys. A little off topic from the Blenny, but still on food. My corals are all rather new additions. Any recommendations on supplements for them? Zoas, Ricordias, GSP, and a purple rim green monti cap.

BTW on topic the Blenny is moving around a bit more now, still chilling around the same rock.