PDA

View Full Version : which is the most likley cause (brown fuzzy carpet/grass like growth) (algea?????)

agreeive?fish
06/06/2010, 08:31 AM
sorry no pics but the "algea" is a brown fozzy like carpet/grass on my rocks and glass..it will disloge with ease so wich items are the most probable cause and wich should i address 1st

over feeding/left over food(1st issue i know)
extreemley crappy lights with very old bulbs..
lack of a skimmer
inadequate flow

Iam 100% sure that all the above are partialy responsible for my brown crappy growth on everything but other than the overfeeding wich items should i address 1st,2nd,3rd,4th ect...

tank(s) are 6 and 7ft fowlr and stocking includes
tangs(4)
angels(L)(1)
triggers(2)
puffers(2)
clownfish(4)
scatt (1)

divided between 2 seperate tanks..one tank is way worse than the other but both have the same issues and both have the same basic bioload and tank1 is 7ft 200g with a 60g sump tank 2 is 210g with a 40g sump

thanks for the replys in advance

billdogg
06/06/2010, 08:51 AM
ummm all of the above, but i would put lights last - with fo/fowlr tanks, it really does not matter too much - the fish don't care at all about lighting.

Overfeeding - if there is left over, you are feeding too much = ^^^nitrates/phosphates
no skimmer - yup that too is an issue - allows excess nutrients to stay in the water and decompose = you guessed it ^^^ nitrates/phosphates
low flow = dead spots where crap can accumulate = ^^^nitrates/phosphates
tanks stocked with large messy fish = again - ^^^nitrates/phosphates

you should add that skimmer, stop over feeding, increase flow. Because that all costs $$$, you should also greatly increase your water changes to help. I would even go to the trouble of taking all the rocks out and scrubbing them with a stiff brush in a bucket of tank water to remove as much as possible.

agreeive?fish
06/06/2010, 02:13 PM
can you recomend a skimmer for each tank...

poor boy here so it must be a skimmer that will effecently do a quality job but dosent have to have fancy frills and it can be as ugly as my x wife's atitude