PDA

View Full Version : Cloudly / Clear / Cloudly / Clear

Devin98
06/06/2010, 12:57 PM
So I just re-started my tank which was running for about 6 months but not cared for. I added some more uncured live rock 20lbs in a 50 gallon and did a 30 gallon water change. There are no fish just 2 snails and a handfull of blue legs.

I noticed of the past few days that the tank will be crystal clear then within an hour get cloudy to the point where you can see the back then within a few hours go clear again.

Any ideas what is going on? also when it gets cloudy there is a bit of a smell in the fish room but when clear no smell.

Thank is a 50 gallon with a 30 gallon fuge and 15 gallon sump.

Dustin1300
06/06/2010, 01:25 PM
I'd do a couple more water changes to get out all the badd water. You happen to add any more rock recently? You sure its not microbubbles from return, skimmer, etc? (Smell would not make sense)

Devin98
06/06/2010, 02:56 PM
def not bubbles, I did add 20lbs of new live rock and I expected it to be cloudy just not going from clear to cloudy over and over again.

Sisterlimonpot
06/06/2010, 09:43 PM
sounds like you have some sort of precip or getting a bad algae bloom. Are you dosing anything into the tank?

mutateddogbone
06/06/2010, 10:48 PM
sounds more like a bacterial bloom. you said the rock you have is uncured which there would probably be A TON of die off from that rock. the cloudy water is probably just a sign that your denitrifying bacteria doing its job. I would just leave it alone and check your amm, nitrite, nitrate. if you have no fish then there is no sense in worrying about it.

Do you have a skimmer on this tank?

Sisterlimonpot
06/06/2010, 11:02 PM
sounds like you have some sort of precip or getting a bad algae bloom. Are you dosing anything into the tank? correction, I meant bacteria bloom not algae.... sorry for the confusion.

Devin98
06/07/2010, 04:50 AM
sounds good, I do have a skimmer and it is pulling a lot out of the tank right now.