PDA

View Full Version : Leak Testing/Troubleshooting New Illuminata

cbrivkalns
06/08/2010, 08:48 PM
Hello;

I've been leak testing and troubleshooting a new setup for the last few days and am looking for some advice. This is my first marine aquarium, and here's a rundown of my equipment so far:

57g Reef Ready Oceanic Illuminata
Trigger Systems Crystal 30 Sump (30x12x15)
Tunze Silence 1073.040 Return Pump
Hydor Koralia Evolution 1050 Powerhead (2X)
Eheim-Jager 100W Heater (2X)
Ecoxotic 23.5" Panarama Fixture (arriving soon)

As far as leaks go, so far so good.

On the other hand, the Oceanic Megaflow overflow is very loud. I've researched online and seen numerous posts about the issue, but most relate to surging. My system isn't surging at all, and maintains a steady state even with the pump output set to maximum.

I do notice quite a bit of entrained air going through my clear vinyl return line... is this normal behavior? If not, what would be causing it?

The noise doesn't seem dependent on either the flow rate or the position of the Megaflow standpipe. I've raised it and lowered it, and I've also throttled the return pump outpipe to a bare trickle. Nothing seems to change the noise much.

Compared to a "standard" Durso, the Megaflow has three holes in the "T" component... are these just for siphon break purposes?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

-- chad

Uncle Salty 05
06/09/2010, 06:42 AM
A pic of your overflow would help people advise you on how to modify it.
There should be no air in your clear return line. You either have a leak somewhere or your pump is cavitating.

Cavitation means that cavities or bubbles are forming in the liquid that we're pumping. These cavities form at the low pressure or suction side of the pump, causing several things to happen all at once:

The cavities or bubbles will collapse when they pass into the higher regions of pressure, causing noise, vibration, etc.
We experience a loss in capacity.
The pump can no longer build the same head (pressure)
The pump's efficiency drops.

cbrivkalns
06/09/2010, 09:36 AM
Oops!!! My mistake, Uncle Salty. When I said "return line," I meant the drain line (which returns water to the sump).

The return line from the pump is clear and bubble free, so there's no cavitation going on. The drain line, on the other hand, is bubbled up no matter what the flow situation is.

I'll try to post some pics after I get home this evening.

-- chad

Uncle Salty 05
06/09/2010, 09:46 AM
Bubbles in your drain line are normal, nothing to worry about there.

cbrivkalns
06/09/2010, 08:36 PM
If bubbles in the drain line are normal then I'm not going to worry about it anymore. I think I'll try making a "traditional" Durso or a Stockman this weekend and see how they compare noise-wise to the stock Megaflow standpipe.

Thanks again for setting my mind at ease, Uncle Salty!

-- chad

VtheMaestro
06/09/2010, 08:40 PM
i have the same tank, but i didn't want that overflow - way too big and bulky. check out my build (http://bit.ly/maestro57gRC)

cbrivkalns
06/10/2010, 12:13 PM
I remember seeing your build! I agree, the stock overflow is huge and ungainly, but I went with the Reef Ready Illuminata because I'm fairly space limited and need to have the aquarium up against the wall as much as possible.

But on a different note, I found water on the base of the cabinet this morning... just a little, but I can't tell where it came from. I really hope my sump isn't leaking... :worried: :(