PDA

View Full Version : Jelly fish

capecoral
06/08/2010, 10:12 PM
Would I be dumb if I asked if you can keep jelly fish with corals? I could not find a jelly fish section here.

kingfisher62
06/08/2010, 10:18 PM
If I were to guess , I would say no! I would imagine most reef tanks have too much flow for jellies.

nvdiz
06/08/2010, 10:34 PM
aside from too much flow, i would think they would require much different water parameters than a reef.

different temps, lighting, flow, etc.

hillscp
06/08/2010, 10:36 PM
They need a special tank called a kreisel. It is a round tank and the water spins slowly exiting through a slot in the top for filtration.

I have seen them at the Monterey bay aquarium. Pretty impressive but I'm guessing pretty hard (and expensive) to do. I googled jellyfish aquarium and found a site that sells kreisels.

MandM
06/08/2010, 11:16 PM
The do require a special tank and are kept in a species tank with no other animals. I've only seen jelliquarium/ (http://www.jelliquarium.com/) at reef expos but they have the equipment and info on what's involved.
Jellies have a fascinating life cycle but all I've heard is that they take a tremendous amount of time/money/effort to keep them for a very short life.

thelittlereef
06/09/2010, 05:17 AM
Check out L.A. Fish guys on utube. He has a bunch of jelleis

Evi1Monkey
06/09/2010, 06:16 AM
Check out L.A. Fish guys on utube. He has a bunch of jelleis

Was about to say the same thing. He has about 85 episodes out right now, but he has about a good dozen with info on Jelly fish. It shows how the tanks are setup and what the look like, he even breeds them for a little while. In my spare time at work I've been reading here and watching him :)

capecoral
06/09/2010, 10:25 PM
I think I've seen those vids... will check for them again

kingfisher62
06/10/2010, 08:38 PM
You can buy thse at DR. Fosters

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+505+543&pcatid=543

Dustin1300
06/10/2010, 08:44 PM
I don't know this for sure but would also think that a jellyfish dying could be really bad in a system as the toxins released could cause a major die off:(

kingfisher62
06/10/2010, 09:52 PM
As cool as jellyfish look especially with the correct lighting I think i would get bored with them after a while. I like the biodiversity of a reef tank.

capecoral
06/11/2010, 04:24 PM
Looks like the upside down might work, if he stays put, and if pumps are covered. Not as exciting as the big floating umbrellas though :)

punchedup
06/11/2010, 08:24 PM
sharkdoctor skims these posts from time to time. She works at a local aquarium and runs a jellyfish tank.

She and I built a kriesel a little while back.

I can ask her for specifics if you are serious.

sharkdoctor
06/12/2010, 07:04 AM
You couldn't keep jellies in a reef. Like everyone said, they need to be in a specialized tank. If you have thousands of dollars lying around, I'd suggest a jelliquarium. If not, I would go about making one if you have the resources. No matter what, it's going to be pretty expensive. Depending on the jellies you want to keep you might have to use halides. I believe this is the case for upside down jellies and blue spots. If you want to keep others you won't need halides, but you'll most likely need a chiller. If you have any questions feel free to message me. I'd say jellyfish are almost worth the time and effort ;)

capecoral
06/12/2010, 08:11 AM
Jelly fish don't seem beginner friendly at all. Is there no type that can be kept in a room temp round fish bowl with no light? Like a desktop goldfish except a jelly?

sharkdoctor
06/12/2010, 09:46 AM
nope.

capecoral
06/18/2010, 09:31 AM
Ok then is there a recommended one that is easiest, that could be started with the smallest "special" tank?

sharkdoctor
06/18/2010, 10:09 PM
How small are you looking to go? I wouldn't really do anything less than twenty gallons ish. You could do comb jellies in that. Honestly, if you're looking for cheap and easy, I would just skip jellies. In my opinion, they're kind of boring. We have two tanks made right now. One for use with a canister filter and one for use with a sump. The canister filter one is easiest in my opinion. What we did was cut out a circular tube, siliconed it in the tank. There's a six by twelve inch rectangle cut out of that. Cover that with screening, I just used the stuff from Lowes. Place one end of the cut out cylinder higher than the other, so that when you push the water through it goes into the cylinder and not into the rest of the tank. Put the intake on your filter on the side that the screen is on. Then on the other side put your output with the sprayer bar across the cylinder so that when the water is pushed into the tank it will spray in. On one of my tanks the sprayer bar is siliconed in, on the other the bar is suction cupped on. If you are going to collect the jellies yourself, I just recommend using the water that you collect the jellies in. Since you're on the gulf you should be able to find some combs. I used to see them all the time in Texas, and I'm even getting them up here in Jersey. If you have any more questions, or need a diagram or something, let me know.

sharkdoctor
06/18/2010, 10:09 PM
Punchedup might have more info.

punchedup
06/19/2010, 02:19 PM
Realistically, you can keep jellies for pretty cheap if you are crafty.

You wanna keep them in a bowl on your desk so I'll give you a how-to on that.

Get a 5-10 gallon bowl/round/octagonal tank. You want some height. At least a 1.5-2 feet. Don't get a 10 gal breeder.

I'm not sure what kind of experience you have with salt water or what kind of equipment you have, but obviously you need to have some way of getting good salt water in there with stable parameters. Look into specifics for the specific jellies you're keeping.

Comb jellies are a good start. They do well in a wide range of temps (40-90 degrees F). Specific gravity isn't super critical but keep it around 1.023. They will eat brine shrimp, plankton, copepods, small feeder fish, among other things.

Basically you need to generate a flow for them that will keep them afloat.

In a bowl this isn't that hard. The easiest/cheapest way to do it would be to use pvc to make a sprayer bar. If you can make it round you might be able to sit it in the bottom of the bowl and make it look nice. Have it spray straight up the middle of the water column and make sure you make it as adjustable as possible. Ideally the water will go up the sides and down the middle or vice verse.

Use a submergeable pump and make sure that the intake is covered with a very fine screen. I found that window screening was cheap and easy to work with. You still may find your jellies stuck to it if you don't set it up carefully.

I would put a false floor in the tank and have your pump (and maybe a heater) down there. Set your sprayer bar on top of it.

For filtration I would recommend HOB canister. Route the intake under your false bottom. Nothing too crazy though. Don't over feed and your bio load should be relatively low. I wouldn't recommend more than 3-4 jellies in a 10 gallon tank. In something this small, water changes will be your best way to keep everything in check. Obviously no ammonia or nitrites. Nitrates are a little more important to keep an eye on than with fish. Doing ~50% water changes a couple times a month should keep everything where you need it. If you've got a fuge going somewhere, I'd recommend piping it in some copepods if you can.

I had a bowl set up like this with some moons for a few weeks as an experiment for sharkdoctor. It was really crude but I didn't have any die on me. They are all in her homemade kriesel now. We snagged them out of the ocean. Jellies don't have very long life spans in captivity. I don't have solid numbers for you yet but I wouldn't expect to keep them for any longer than 6 months. You'll need to find a good source for them. They sell them online, but the best place to get them is from the ocean if you live close enough. I haven't heard about anyone successfully/consistently breeding them, but maybe you can pioneer that venture. We plan on trying to figure it out. It's controlled by light apparently, although they don't have any special light requirements normally. I had a small power compact clip on just for viewing.

You should be able to get a tank going for less than a hundred bucks if you are resourceful.
If you go for it take pictures and keep us posted.

I'll snap some pics of sharkdoctor's setup next time I see her.

sharkdoctor
06/19/2010, 04:13 PM
You'll need to find a good source for them. They sell them online, but the best place to get them is from the ocean if you live close enough. I haven't heard about anyone successfully/consistently breeding them, but maybe you can pioneer that venture. We plan on trying to figure it out. It's controlled by light apparently, although they don't have any special light requirements normally. I had a small power compact clip on just for viewing.

Moon jellies are actually one of the easiest to breed in captivity. Maybe you are thinking of a different species? If I wasn't lazy I'd run out to my car and get the jelly book I have. There's whole sections on propagation. I'll let you look through it if you want. OP, maybe talk to Chad Widmer at the Monterrey Bay Aquarium. He's the head jelly aquarist there. My coworker is friends with him and says he's awesome.

capecoral
06/19/2010, 06:38 PM
Jellies on the desktop... sounds better than a screen saver. Also sounds cheaper than a 55. The combs or moons need light?

punchedup
06/19/2010, 07:09 PM
Jellies on the desktop... sounds better than a screen saver. Also sounds cheaper than a 55. The combs or moons need light?

Neither the combs or the moons need light. I honestly wouldn't go with moon jellies though as a desktop tank would just be too small in my opinion. I also think combs look cooler. I've heard differing opinions on what water to use. If you try to use water you make yourself, definitely check the water that the animals come from so that the temps and salinity are the same as the water you got them out of. They are very sensitive to that. Otherwise, just use the same water you got them out of. I have a friend who works right on the water and just pulls his water right out of the bay, but others make their own water and have success also.
-Sharkdoctor

capecoral
06/21/2010, 10:30 PM
I want a comb! I searched and found jellyquarium, but they did not have combs. Who else sells these?

sharkdoctor
06/21/2010, 11:09 PM
I want a comb! I searched and found jellyquarium, but they did not have combs. Who else sells these?

The ocean has them for free. When I was in Texas, I'd see them in the Gulf all the time. You shouldn't have a problem collecting a few.

sharkdoctor
06/22/2010, 10:41 AM
On another note, do you have the proper set up to raise food for them?

AzNoWnZ
06/22/2010, 07:29 PM
jellyfishart (http://www.jellyfishart.com/) has moon jellyfish and they make it seem like its pretty simple to keep, I've been thinking about picking up a starter kit from there

capecoral
06/23/2010, 08:40 AM
Well that site makes it seem easy. I don't have anything right now, but those desktop ones seem great. I did not see any combs though.

punchedup
06/30/2010, 03:17 PM
When I comb my jellies I use a brush that came with a my-little-pony...

Anyone take the plunge yet and set up a tank?

punchedup
06/30/2010, 03:25 PM
jellyfishart (http://www.jellyfishart.com/) has moon jellyfish and they make it seem like its pretty simple to keep, I've been thinking about picking up a starter kit from there

That starter kit looks pretty nice although a little small (Looks a lot like what I suggested, no?) The price tag looks high, but in reality it probably is worth it unless you really like to build stuff or already have supplies.

Please post pics and your experience if you do buy/build one. I'm curious.

capecoral
06/30/2010, 04:37 PM
A small desktop setup seems really sweet. I don't care how big the jelly is, or how many. Just a single one moving around, next to my computer, would be great.

punchedup
06/30/2010, 05:24 PM
How set are you on jellies?

Check out fresh water dwarf puffers.

Much cheaper and a lot more interesting/interactive.

You can keep them in a very small tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o1fw9jtRNc

AzNoWnZ
06/30/2010, 05:38 PM
That starter kit looks pretty nice although a little small (Looks a lot like what I suggested, no?) The price tag looks high, but in reality it probably is worth it unless you really like to build stuff or already have supplies.

Please post pics and your experience if you do buy/build one. I'm curious.

I've put that on hold for now, setting up a 40b, but I'll probably get this sometime later this year.

Nakzter
06/30/2010, 05:43 PM
I saw a couple of jelly tanks at the Aquarium of the Pacific in CA and it is awesome! just expensive as far as setup and maintenance wise... I saw the LA fishguy setting up spencer's old tank for the sister. It's probably just chump change from them because they are loaded.

cewoodall3
06/30/2010, 07:15 PM
The Newport Aquarium in Covington, KY (Cincinati) has a big in wall bubble tank theat has some in it. Its back lit really cool and i've always thought it would look awesome in a house somewhere, just not sure of the longevitiy. The desktop idea seems cool, but its kinda like having a freshwater Betta - i always think they look kind of sad after a while.

capecoral
07/03/2010, 05:04 PM
Those puffers look really fun. I guess that's another desktop option.

Cannon7
07/09/2010, 11:45 AM
Sorry to bring it back but I has any one tried the tank? Sharkdoctor or Punchedup do you guys have any pics?

Allmost
07/09/2010, 11:51 AM
I used to have upside down jelly fishes

cool guys, but the sting didnt hurt THAT much so I gave him away lol

punchedup
07/09/2010, 11:58 AM
sharkdoctor should. she just got a fancy new camera phone!

Cannon7
07/09/2010, 12:04 PM
Haha, show it off sharkdoctor!

glextank
07/09/2010, 12:57 PM
Did you see the movie 7 pounds? Will Smith's character keeps them on there, and its cool too see how he takes care of them and stuff. And the endings crazy.

Cannon7
07/09/2010, 01:38 PM
I keep hearing about it. I'll probably go pick it up this weekend.

Crustman
07/09/2010, 04:17 PM
You have to keep the polyps alive that strobilate and produce the ephyra or Jellyfish. The medusa jellyfish is the sexual stage of the life cycle but these start from a little benthic polyp. You can't just go throw a jellyfish in the tank. You will have to produce them at smaller sizes and rear them. Not easy but can be done.

capecoral
07/10/2010, 11:53 AM
Growing them sounds fun

punchedup
10/05/2010, 05:04 PM
So sharkdoctor finally got her jellyfish tank setup at the aquarium.
Here's a pic.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs335.ash2/61556_443143147021_503197021_5029500_5523019_n.jpg

ahud
10/05/2010, 06:03 PM
What is sharkdoctors job title?

Sorry, just curious.

sharkdoctor
10/05/2010, 07:08 PM
What is sharkdoctors job title?

Sorry, just curious.

My "technical" title was Interpreter and Animal Care. I do everything from giving tours to feeding the animals, to doing water changes. It just depends on the tasks we're given for the day. It's a really small aquarium, so everyone does a little bit of everything.

ahud
10/05/2010, 07:56 PM
I'm in a battle with career decisions.

I'm torn between doing what I absolutely love (Aquarium science) or just shooting for something I can be assured I will make decent in and have a job.

I'm so lost it's not even funny. I'm currently majoring in business at Clemson.

Sorry to go off topic.

punchedup
10/05/2010, 10:02 PM
Sharkdoctor (aka my girlfriend) is in the same situation as you.

Her heart is absolutely in fish. She cries while watching documentaries. She knows everything there is to know about everything aquatic. She breeds fish, propagates coral, makes out with manta rays, etc.

But there isn't a whole heck of alot of money in the fish world.
Unless you land grants working for a college doing research or manage an aquarium, I dont see the fish world being a viable career path.

The shitty reality is that maintaining an aquarium really isn't that hard and there are plenty of kids willing to get paid minimum wage to clean tanks and feed fish. Unless you are a veterinarian or have a degree in marine biology and get a lucky job, fish are better kept a hobby.

That's why she's going to college and working at a grocery store.

To keep up the fish fetish we keep a badass aquarium and frequent aquariums.

We just swam with whale sharks at the georgia aquarium. WIN!

And I like the direction this thread is going. cool people only.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs325.ash2/60539_443797496168_507156168_5215117_7893356_n.jpg

ahud
10/05/2010, 10:17 PM
Punchedup,

Maybe I just need a reality check? Then again, when does money become more important then doing something you enjoy?

Like I said, I am completely lost. I am a Sophomore so I need to figure it out fast.

I know curators make 35-40k, which is not great money, but its decent.

ahud
10/05/2010, 10:17 PM
double post

punchedup
10/05/2010, 10:24 PM
we tossed around the idea of moving to Palau and working at a resort so we could scuba the reefs in our spare time.

Get your degree so you have a fall back plan. Then move to palau.

ahud
10/05/2010, 10:28 PM
Well, if I decide to pursue a degree in fisheries/aquarium science I would get a degree in Biology or fisheries.

If I don't, I'm going to stick with business. Clemson has awsome programs to make sure you have a job once you graduate.

punchedup
10/05/2010, 10:33 PM
I'm sure you can apply your business degree to the fish world.

Whether it be starting up an aquaculture business or managing an aquarium.

I don't think a marine biology degree would be that flexible.

capecoral
10/05/2010, 10:53 PM
How bout getting hired to do those cool high end home tank installations