PDA

View Full Version : My 46g bowfront reef tank experiment.

Bama5150
06/10/2010, 12:43 PM
On a recent excursion with the children to a petstore, I impulsively picked up a 46g bow front aquarium and stand thinking it would be neat to stock with some of the more colorful saltwater fish having had freshwater aquariums in the past. This was a little over a week ago, and after doing research I have become hooked on the idea of a reef tank. I have been pouring over dozens of sites, thousands of posts, trying to figure out what exactly i need to put one together.
I am plan on SPS, LPS as well as soft corals if possible.

I am taking back the stand to the aquarium as it only had one small compartment, and I want to build a sump tank for it that is larger than this one would allow.

Right now I am trying to determine, the best light fixture to buy. I believe I want to stick with t5's as I dont want to generate more heat than we already get down here. The tank length is 36" Any suggestions?

I am also looking for a good protein skimmer for this size tank as well as a good quite pump. What size should i go with?

I have scoured the threads and there seems to be so much contradictory information that I figured I would start a thread to see if I can get some answers here.

Thanks for reading!

Tylt33
06/10/2010, 01:27 PM
Reefgeek sells a variety of good T5 lighting fixtures, and you can ask GrimReefer from this site what the best bulb combination will be for your application. Plan on SPSing it up about a year after your tank is set up. It takes some experience beyond reading and planning to truly get the knack of keeping coral. In looking at pumps remember they will also generate heat for your tank, unless you're plumbing one externally. Eheims are a crowd pleaser. Mag pumps are reliable as any other pumps, but not particularly efficient or quiet. Quiet Ones are hit or miss as far as the brand goes. Iwaki and Red Dragon seem to be the cream of the crop for external pumps.

Floowid
06/10/2010, 02:24 PM
I have run the Mag drive pumps for a long time. I have only had one problem, and that was caused by a tiny snail getting in the intake. A Mag 7 would be a good choice for that size, or maybe even a Mag 5.

Look for one of the 4 bulb 36" T5 fixtures. The Tek fixtures are pretty affordable, and get the job done. For the time being you can just go with the bulbs they come with, then change them out when you are ready for more demanding corals.

The most important thing you can do right now is take it slow and read a lot. Have somebody knowledgable help you with the sump and overflow setup, there are so many ways for that to go bad. Get the tank drilled and the overflow installed in the tank if at all possible, stay away from over the back overflow boxes.

Hang on tight and HAVE FUN!

Leviathan_XE
06/10/2010, 02:36 PM
Yeah, chiming in following Floowid. I have a 46 that's been up for about 5 years or so. Has an overflow box going into a 15 tall sump and a Mag 7 on the return. The mag was really reliable for a return pump. It was my 1st tank so I went with a 2x96w PC fixture. Then of course as I learned more about the hobby I wish I'd have gone with t5 or halides or had drilled the tank. Just take your time, read & read again and you'll still make mistakes or wish you'd done something differently, but as long as you enjoy it who cares right?

Bama5150
06/10/2010, 03:23 PM
So I am clear. Drilling the tank just does away with the need for a tube running over the edge correct? I am

I think I am going to go with this Mag 7 then.

Do you think 4 bulbs is enough?

Leviathan_XE
06/10/2010, 04:39 PM
Yes, once you drill your holes(at least two, 1 for the drain, 1 for return) and install the bulkheads that's it. You've got yourself a reef ready tank. It's better than having an overflow box hanging off the back of the tank with a tube from that running to your sump. My overflow box was about 3.5" thick so that's how far my tank HAD to sit off the wall. Just upgraded to a 72 bowfront but this one was drilled. My Mag 7 worked great for me, very reliable and easy to maintain. Lighting can be tricky(something I'm learning more about now) especially with the bowfront because it's a deep tank and it has that thick brace in the middle. Right now I'm leaning towards the ATI 6x54w fixture, I'm only thinking about some softies and LPS but in the future I KNOW I'm at least gonna give sps a try so I want to get the most lighting now to accommodate any future needs. I'd go with more than I need now, than not enough and having to go out to buy another fixture when I want to keep corals that require more light.

oigimsar
06/10/2010, 10:59 PM
+1 on drilling the tank at the start. I am a year into it and wish I had drilled it when I got started. It just makes everything easier when it is drilled and you have a sump.

You will like the T5's as well and Grimreefer has a ton of great information to help figure out what kind of bulb set up to use.

Bama5150
06/11/2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks, I will be drilling the tank. I am interested to know if anyone has use the Bean method on a 46g bow?
looks like 3 holes are needed , and i guess one still for the return.

Bama5150
06/11/2010, 07:39 PM
Ok i have decided to concentrate strictly on plumbing for now. No benefit i can see from getting everything else now. Think i will do the bean method. Time to build a sump. Ended up ordering an Eheim 1260. Figured it may be quieter, and lower voltage.

Nirnex
06/11/2010, 07:54 PM
On lighting I have to say I absolutely love the AquaticLife T5 light fixtures. Great price wise and their 4 & 6 bulb T5 fixtures are single cord with a built in digital programmable timer

MCCOOL
06/11/2010, 08:31 PM
Good choice drilling the tank, you'll be so glad you did. You don't have to drill a hole for the return, it can go over the top of the tank. Also, good choice on the ehiem, can't go wrong there. I'd look into a 4 bulb ATI sunpower fixture, it'll work great in a year or so when you decide to go all SPS haha

Bama5150
06/11/2010, 09:08 PM
I am looking at the ATI sunpower :) How high should it be off the water?
However, I am thinking of building a canopy, so might go with a cheaper light setup.
got some time to debate myself over it.

MCCOOL
06/11/2010, 09:21 PM
My sunpower is about 6" off the surface of the water, I had an icecap retrofit from reefgeek before on a 40br and it was great also, although not much cheaper than the sunpower.