PDA

View Full Version : 2 korallias for a 20 gallon too much flow?

JamesJR
06/10/2010, 04:00 PM
I have been battling some tissue necrosis in my sps tank for some time and am starting to think I may have too much flow. Most of my acros look pretty bad, most montis look okay and are still growing. I am seeing some poor polyp extension in most acros. I am starting to think it is because they have too much flow. In case you are wondering all parameters are as follows.

tank- standard 20 gallon tank
Modified bak pak skimmer with maxi jet 1200
hang on filter with BRS carbon, purigen and GFO, 300 gph
2 hydor korallia #2's
Lighting 6x39 watt t5 lights, 2 ati aqua blue, 2 ati actinic and 2 10k nova
I use a jbj aquatics auto top off and use ro-di water exclussively. Top off water I add 0.5 liters of kalk to about 5 gallons.
water changes-at least 20% a month but have been doing 10% a week.
Instant ocean salt
randys recipe for alk and ca supplements added daily.

Alk 9.0 dkH salifert
Calcium 410 ppm salifert
Magnesium 1350 elos
pH 8.1 api
Salinity about 35 ppt or 1.026 (usually use a hydrometer but it agrees with refractometer).
Phosphate - undetectable on salifert, shows 20 ppb on a meter
Nitrate - never detected any on an api kit
temp -always between 78 and 80.

MPevine11
06/10/2010, 06:03 PM
Get a MP10

controll your flow, dont let your flow controll you :p

JamesJR
06/10/2010, 07:24 PM
I have been saving for one and on a grad student's budget it maybe a couple of months. Until then you think I should take one out?

MPevine11
06/10/2010, 07:52 PM
i'd either take one out or point them diffrently. maybe one towards the surface or something

vegita51
06/10/2010, 09:33 PM
Definitely point them differently if you don't have the funds to purchase a mp10 yet.

fatrip
06/10/2010, 09:35 PM
It isn't to much flow. You may have them pointed in a manor that they are directly blowing on a coral which in turn would make the coral not so happy. The K#2 are rated for 600gph which is way over there actual out put but put that aside and you get 1200gph which is 60x. What I would do is position them so that the power head are on opposite sides of the tank facing one another and put the stream either over top the corals or in front between them and the glass do not point them directly at the corals.

Pevine - you got stock in EcoTech???...lol...j/k

second how high off the water and how high from the corals is the lighting system?

third randys recipe for alk and ca supplements added daily. What are you using for Ca and Alk?