PDA

View Full Version : How to run a chiller on a tank controller?

uclamatthew
06/10/2010, 04:43 PM
I'm expecting my tank controller (Reef Angel) to arrive today or tomorrow and was starting to think about what/how to hook things up. I'm stuck on how to connect/control the chiller.

Setup Options:
1) Pump pushing water through the chiller is plugged into controller, cycling on and off while the chiller is on all the time. The chiller has it's own control logic to switch on and off, so when the pump is not running it should cool the water in its system and shut off shortly after since it is chilling a small volume.

2) Switch the pump and the chiller on and off. I woudl have the chiller set to a temperature well below my desired tank temperature to ensure whenever the controller turns it on the chiller will immediately begin cooling and continue to do so until the controller shuts it off. My concern here is that this will be harder on the chiller.

I should not that there will be 2-3 degrees of overlap in the controller logic between turning the chiller on and off so it's not constantly turning on/off.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Allmost
06/10/2010, 04:53 PM
I think first one would give you more stable temp at cost of extra electricity used.

I do not have much experience with chillers though.

jtarmitage
06/10/2010, 04:57 PM
I don't like the idea of having the chiller powered on without water flowing though it. It could be that the sensor built into the chiller ends up exposed to the air and not the "chilled" water within it, or the water could back siphon out of the chiller altogether and you end up burning up the motor. Best to use your controller to only override the chiller if the tank temp gets too far out of normal operating range.

uclamatthew
06/10/2010, 05:06 PM
Basically let the chiller operate in it's own control loop, only cutting power to it if the temp gets way too low? I like that idea actually, keeps things simple. Thx.

jtarmitage
06/10/2010, 05:12 PM
Exactly.