PDA

View Full Version : What are these?

hilde123
06/10/2010, 07:45 PM
What are these and how do I permanently get rid of them. I have had these for a few years and no matter how hard I fight with kalk paste or vinegar and a hypodermic needle they just keep slowly multiplying. I used to (2-3 years ago) have a large issue with aiptasia, I finally won the fight with a Copper Banded Butterfly fish (had no luck with berghia nudis or peppermint shrimp). The fish ate all the aiptasia but never seemed to touch this variety that at the time was relatively sparse. So anyone who has won the battle please let me know how, is there some fish or invert that is the secret weapon? Thanks

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd317/hilde5962/P6100822.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd317/hilde5962/P6100820.jpg

Muddy35
06/10/2010, 09:11 PM
Looks like apitasias .. Add some peppermint shrimp and decrease feedings for awhile.. will prob never get rid of them but you can get them under control.. I have one here and there but the peppermints keep them well under control.. may also try a copperband but they are hit and miss..

Salamander
06/11/2010, 12:43 AM
Those look more like majanos. Nuke 'em just the same though.

robs.mark
06/11/2010, 12:50 AM
Majanos for sure, find a small shell from the beach, clean it, sit it over the top of the anemone, once it has moved into it simply remove the shell along with the nem, easy! If i were you i would get into this fast though as these suckers spread like wild fire.

robs.mark
06/11/2010, 12:52 AM
Oh my word, i just saw the second picture, too late!
Can you remove that rock? are all the rocks covered like that?

chuck116
06/11/2010, 06:21 AM
I no that there are some file fish that eat aptasia, But when its gone the tendancy is for them to nip at some corals . Good luck

mgdth
06/11/2010, 02:17 PM
Majanos....kalk paste has worked for me...I haven't gotten them all, but it sure does keep them in check...

hilde123
06/11/2010, 07:06 PM
Kalk paste isn't doing any good, it just seems to make them multiply. I have several roacks that have it pretty bad and they are next to impossible to get out with out tearing the tank apart. Are there any predators that will take care of these. Thanks

Dave VG
06/12/2010, 07:21 AM
apitasia-x worked good for me in my 90. Pretty much tried everything else. Be careful around zoo's and any other polyps tho.

Anemonebuff
06/12/2010, 09:33 AM
The only thing that worked for me was a peppermint shrimp. I fought aiptasia for years with kalk injections, boiling water, and aiptasia X and none worked to rid the tank of the pests. I did not use Copperband Butterflies(CBB) as a means of control/irradication due to the fact that most are not reef safe and eat other corals and anemones. I had one peppermint shrimp who cleared hundreds of aiptasia out of my 125 gallon in about 3-4 months. Unless you have fish that eat shrimp, they would be my suggestion.

Dave VG
06/12/2010, 10:20 AM
Anemonebuff you were one of the lucky ones as peppermint shrimp are known to be hit and miss as well. Don't lose that pep lol. As a mater of fact people would probably love to lease it from you to clear there tanks. Not so sure you will ever eradicate them but IMO you can at lest keep them in check.

Edit: By the way nice avatar