PDA

View Full Version : Is 7 degree temp swing TOO BIG?

ryanjiang
06/11/2010, 09:53 AM
I have beening running T5 on my 75G SPS and recently changed to 2X 250W Radium for about a month, yesterday I had a read into data log from apex, my 24 hour temp swing is 74 to 81, my temp swing was not this big before.

Majority of SPS have been doing great so far, a few looks happier, a few of them showing LITTLE less PE (there are still good PE but slightly less than before) and little lighter color. I can not tell if this is due to bigger temp swing or because of light change. I am keeping close look if there is any sign of wide range stress the I will control the temp tighter to 4, 5 degree.

I am just wondering form your SPS guru, is 7 degree swing too big? should I just control it tighter?

Logzor
06/11/2010, 10:43 AM
Stability is the key with SPS - the fewer temp swings the better. Some people suggest that sps which are used to temp swing fare better in the event of a power outage or overheating the aquarium. I'm honestly not sure if this holds true or not.

Regardless, your sps seemed to do fine with the 7 degree swing over 24 hours. It is hard to say if you got lucky or not but if your sps were already stressed then it may have been a different story.

I think you should set your system up so that there is never more than a 4 degree swing in a 24 hour period. I have my fans and heaters on my aquacontroller to get the temp within 2-3 degrees.

Short answer, a 7 degree swing is probably too much - keep it down to at least 4.

cloak
06/11/2010, 10:57 AM
I have beening running T5 on my 75G SPS and recently changed to 2X 250W Radium for about a month, yesterday I had a read into data log from apex, my 24 hour temp swing is 74 to 81, my temp swing was not this big before.

Majority of SPS have been doing great so far, a few looks happier, a few of them showing LITTLE less PE (there are still good PE but slightly less than before) and little lighter color. I can not tell if this is due to bigger temp swing or because of light change. I am keeping close look if there is any sign of wide range stress the I will control the temp tighter to 4, 5 degree.

I am just wondering form your SPS guru, is 7 degree swing too big? should I just control it tighter?

Not in my experience. A 7 degree change throughout the day is nothing to worry about IMO, whether it's sps, LPS, softies, etc. No problem.

Allmost
06/11/2010, 11:00 AM
I have 0.5 degrees change during the day and night. I think that's important.

never tried the other way to know though :)

nvdiz
06/11/2010, 11:29 AM
within 24 hours a 7 degree isn't so bad, but you have to really minimize it. On a 75g that is almost always preventable, but i understand that **** happens. SPS love stability as would any other coral, but they're the least tolerant.

cabrego
06/11/2010, 11:38 AM
You can try to minimize your temp swing by allowing your apex to control your heater. My temp swing is from 77 to 81ish. My heaters turn on when the temp gets to 77 and they turn off at 81 ish. I can tighten that up by having the heater on at 78 or 79 and off sooner, but it hasn't been an issue.

The color lightening could be due to the new lights, did you acclimate the corals to the more intense lighting?

fishypets
06/11/2010, 11:55 AM
74 to 81 would be fine however 81 to 88 would be bad.

t4zalews
06/11/2010, 12:34 PM
yea..mine swings the same amount. I havent had an issue.

elijaher
06/11/2010, 01:06 PM
Are you using any kind of temp control device. As long the swing is stable should be ok.

sslak
06/11/2010, 01:31 PM
If your corals get used to a bit of temp swing then a power outage or other temperature event won't be so stressful IMO.

My tank was going from about 78-84 and never saw any problems, that's 6 degrees. I got rid of a pump that was causing heat issues and now my temp is stable within 2 degrees 78-80.

I think you are OK, but most people would probably be more comfortable if the temp swing was a little less...maybe adding cooling fans for the halides to keep the peak daytime temp down.

I would just avoid anything over 84, and keep an eye on everything. Your inhabitants should start to give you clues if there is a problem.

scottwhitson
06/11/2010, 03:41 PM
I agree with the majority here. A 7 degree swing isn't bad and I also believe that corals do get accustomed to it and fare better when temps go out of control for some other reason. I have read alot of threads that people have lost their entire tanks from a temp of 84+* because their tanks were used to a perfect temp of 78*. Our tank swings anywhere from 74* to 84* and haven't lost any corals due to it.

ryanjiang
06/11/2010, 05:33 PM
Thank you all for answers!

I have heaters, chiller, and controller so the temp would not go beyond 82, now I am thinking to tight up the swing to 4, 5 degree, since my corals are acclimating to new light, why adding extra stress, after all my temp swing was not that big before under T5.

cloak
06/11/2010, 06:13 PM
These corals were probably designed to be high and dry for hours on end. Seven degrees is nothing. I didn't think so at first, but I'm starting to realize that there VARY durable.

mal1099
06/11/2010, 08:21 PM
yeah my tank goes from 79-84 everyday with no ill effects

reefinder
06/12/2010, 08:57 PM
my sps dominated tank swings from 77 to 84 every day with out any problems. I start to notice problems more in the winter when tanks are much cooler for longer periods of time. cooler temp swings on tanks is much more detrimental to sps than warmer temp swings I learned that the hard way.

TeebD
06/12/2010, 10:17 PM
my sps dominated tank swings from 77 to 84 every day with out any problems. I start to notice problems more in the winter when tanks are much cooler for longer periods of time. cooler temp swings on tanks is much more detrimental to sps than warmer temp swings I learned that the hard way.

Wow...I would have thought with those temp swings, you wouldn't have good luck. I did notice better coloration in my SPS once I had my RKL set up to help stabilize temps.