PDA

View Full Version : ATB 840 1.5 footprint?

ToolmanRR
06/11/2010, 06:48 PM
I am looking for a REALISTIC footprint for the Atb 840 v1.5. The specs on the web-site say it's 8" x 14". Well those measurements make a rectangle and the skimmer footprint is NOT a rectangle. I am looking for a picture something along the lines of a shadow footprint the skimmer puts out onto the surface it sits on. That way I could take that image and place it in my sump (rotate it, slide it around, etc) to get an exact representation of how it will fit. Something like the attached pic but with measurements so I can increase/decrease the printout to be correct. The exact positioning of the pump and plumbing are very important so this example pic is not accurate for my use.

kc350twin
06/13/2010, 08:44 AM
I have one and will try later to measure it. I think Aquarium Specialty claimed the foot print was a tad larger. I think he was claiming 11'x14". Have you tried R2R ATB thread?

ToolmanRR
06/13/2010, 09:39 AM
That will be most appreciated. What I'm looking for is if someone was to trace around the base of everything (cone, pump, plumbing, etc) to create an image that would sort of look like a shadow. Then if they put the measurements on each of the main components, a person could print it out and increase/decrease the printout size so the measurements are to scale.
I've read too many times where people buy skimmers and they won't fit into their sump (maybe it's because they didn't measure and assumed it would fit) but I only have one opportunity to buy a skimmer (says the wife lol) so I have to get it right.
What does R2R mean?
Thanks again :beer:

I have one and will try later to measure it. I think Aquarium Specialty claimed the foot print was a tad larger. I think he was claiming 11'x14". Have you tried R2R ATB thread

D-Nak
07/01/2010, 12:01 PM
I just measured mine since it's waiting to be hooked up. The length of the body (your green line) is 8.25" and it's almost the same size as the cover. The overall length of the edge of the skimmer body to the edge of the pump (your long red line is 14.25". In short, I would say the the 8" x 14" footprint is accurate, though looking at the skimmer, I would recommend a 9" x 15" footprint to allow for wiggle room.

The attached photos show the skimmer alongside a standard 15" ruler. The top down shot is a bit distorted (crappy iPhone photos) but it clearly goes from one end of the ruler to the other (almost).

Sorry, I don't have time to draw up the diagram your looking for, so I hope this helps!

ToolmanRR
07/01/2010, 01:15 PM
Thank you!! :thumbsup: The top view is more of what I was looking for. I'm trying to determine how much I could rotate the whole skimmer in the sump rather than just putting in there 90 degree to the shape of the sump. My sump is a bit limited so I want to utilize every inch the best I can. This will help a lot. Thank you again.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your skimmer from and what did they charge you for it and shipping? Was there a wait to get it?
Ken (in Arizona) (ToolmanRR)

D-Nak
07/01/2010, 01:43 PM
Hey Ken... I'll send you a PM.