PDA

View Full Version : Too many bubbles coming from drains in sump - help!

aklausing
06/12/2010, 08:38 AM
I am building out a 120G display tank with corner drains into a sump below the tank. I am getting a ton of bubbles that go into the sump from the drains. The noise in the sump is really pretty loud and it is also loud where the drains are in the display tank. If anyone has some advice on what I can do to reduce or eliminate the bubbles and noise, I'd appreciate it.

Here is what I have:
- Two corner durso drains using 1" spaflex feeding back to the fuge and skimmer sections of my sump. Both are under the sump water.
- EuroUSA 1000 submersible pump rated at 1000 GPH w/ 9.3 ft lift
- The returns start with 3/4" out of pump into a tee. Ihave 3/4" spaflex coming out of the tee which get reduced down to 1/2" lockline at the water level of DT.

I have tried putting a tee on the end of one of the drain lines in the sump with the one end pointing down and one end pointing up with pvc coming out of the one pointing up and above the water line. I thuoght this might allow the bubbles to rise, but I still get same amount of bubbles coming out of bottom and of course, it's still noisy.

I thought having durso drains in the DT were supposed to result in reduced noise, but there seems to be a lot of gurgling. I thought maybe the return pump wasn't big enough, so I closed off one of the drain lines (I have ballcock valves on them.) But that didn't seem to help either.

Please provide advice.

hillscp
06/12/2010, 09:02 AM
One word

Herbie

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344892

I had the same problem. This really works.

whedbee
06/12/2010, 03:02 PM
filter socks.

wash them 1 a week they work wonders :)

mal1099
06/12/2010, 04:03 PM
are your drains going straight down into your sump. you might need to put a 90 on the end of your drain to keep the water from bouncing off the bottom of the sump and shooting back up. I had this same issue and just used a 90 elbow and about 4 inches of pvc and my noise is almost gone.

gnashty
06/12/2010, 07:50 PM
filter socks.

wash them 1 a week they work wonders :)

Yes, love my filter sock