PDA

View Full Version : 10k 14k and 20k

badmotorfinger7
06/12/2010, 02:21 PM
Just wondering if any of you sps keepers have a personal opinion on which of these color temperarture metal halid bulbs are best for color development in most acros? I seem to read and here conflicting views on this issue, some people i have talked to say 20k is better to bring out color while others seem to think that a 10 or 14k bulb works best. I have 20k radiums now and am thinking of switching to a different kalvin rating. Thanks for any input!!

Gary Majchrzak
06/12/2010, 02:25 PM
there's no industry standard.

additionally, ballasts and reflectors (as well as other factors) will have an effect on the final results.

what does this all mean?

try different bulbs and if you don't like what you see in your aquarium try something else... bulbs need to be replaced eventually, right?

njhcnwk
06/12/2010, 03:30 PM
I think it's all a preference as to what you find visually appealing. From what my eyes see, I think acros have more appealing coloration under higher Kelvin ratings. I think Kelvin rating appeals to the person moreso moreso than the coral. I mean, If i put my tank under bulbs that made the corals look crappy but I thought my tank had never looked better, then wouldn't those be the bulbs for me? It's all about experimentation. Right now i'm using 12K reeflux and I think my next bulbs will be 14K phoenix so i can see what they look like.

Gary Majchrzak
06/12/2010, 03:52 PM
Just wondering if any of you sps keepers have a personal opinion on which of these color temperarture metal halid bulbs are best for color development in most acros? I seem to read and here conflicting views on this issue, some people i have talked to say 20k is better to bring out color while others seem to think that a 10 or 14k bulb works best. I have 20k radiums now and am thinking of switching to a different kalvin rating. Thanks for any input!!
what ballasts are you juicin' your Radiums with?

badmotorfinger7
06/12/2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. I use vertex electronic balasts. I just want to get the most out of my next bulb purchase. I like the 20k look but was hoping to perhaps get better actual colors out of my sps with a different bulb.