PDA

View Full Version : water flow question

sassyfrassy
06/12/2010, 09:46 PM
Ok I'm building up too much detritus on the surface of my sand. I'm switching from a Eheim 1250 (350 gph) to Mag (1200 gph) which will enter DT thru spray bar about 1" below surface for good surface agitation and directional flow toward overflow box on other side of tank. I have 2 korallia 3s - where should I position them? Will this probably be enough flow?

mfd574
06/12/2010, 10:09 PM
It's hard to say how much flow you will need. How much rock is in the tank? Any coral? Is the buildup just in certain areas of the tank such as current dead spots where the current flow is not getting to?

ZurichOne95
06/12/2010, 10:13 PM
I would get some CUC that eats Detritus, but dont have the powerheads toward the sand, you have a sand storm. How bug is you tank?? 65? you should be good on flow now

Aquarist007
06/12/2010, 10:15 PM
For your 65 gal you should have a flow rate between 1300 and 2600 gal per hour

since you will have good surface agitation then place one Koralia at the top facing downwards
On the opposite side of the tank place the other Koralia low in the tank facing upwards
This will create circular flow in the tank with the water being forced downwards, across the substrate and then being pushed upwards again.
If you have an overflow then make sure the circular direction you create ends up at the overflow

sedor
06/12/2010, 10:16 PM
On a 65G FOWLR that is plenty of flow. The spray bar however is going to do very little in terms of keeping detrius off the sand bed. Your Koralias can be pointed in different directions so your going to want to find the perfect spot for those to aim in order to keep things suspended. Rather than aim the water flow directly at the sand, think of terms of trying to keep a constant motion throughout the entire tank. So maybe have one on each side pointing towards to center of the glass so they each create flow on the side of the tank as they travel to the front at which point their collide and send random flow going out everywhere.

sassyfrassy
06/12/2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks!