PDA

View Full Version : Need Help; Tripping electric breaker

bolo7735
06/14/2010, 07:58 AM
I am running 2 400W MH, plus skimmer and pumps. Yesterday I installed my 1/3hp chiller and it ran fine. Around 9pm my circuit breaker tripped. I was surprise it took so long to trip the circuit. I tested all the outlets in my living room and it all runs off one 15amp breaker. My question, how do you guys run your MH and chiller without tripping the breaker? Do you think it is safe to use a extension cord to use off another outlet of a different 15amp breaker?

bolo7735
06/15/2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. :rolleyes:

chilwil84
06/15/2010, 08:52 PM
you would probably be better off running an individual 20 amp for the tank. the reason for the delayed trip may be it took that long for something else to be turned on the exact time your chiller fired up. this can happen during the startup of many electrical products because they initially draw more amps during startup than they do while running (the number on the product is the running amp). running am extension cord is a short term solution. you dont want to rely on a power source away from your tank it may be a fire hazard depending on how you do it and it could also be a reason your tank crashes due to you not knowing the plug has been pulled because someone tripped on it or didnt realize what it was doing.

ebruce01
06/15/2010, 09:08 PM
For short term while you get the time to run that new breaker and GFI outlet....of course its safe. Make sure you buy or already have a quality grounded extension cord.....thats not much longer than it needs to be...

bolo7735
06/16/2010, 07:50 AM
By changing to a 20amp breaker, will the wires in the wall be able to handle the higher amps?

DustinB
06/16/2010, 09:25 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Pull one of the wall plugs(without shocking yourself) and see if you can read what gauge the wire is, or check it at the breaker. You will probably need 12 gauge wire in the walls, 14awg will not cut it.

bolo7735
06/16/2010, 11:40 AM
Thank you everyone this help. Time to call the electrician out.