PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a house that happens to have a big reef tank

smb1087
06/14/2010, 02:39 PM
Hello,

I just bought a house with a rather large reef tank (not sure of actual size maybe 200 gal +?) and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it other than have a fish fry or put a couple sharks in the tank. We won't be moving in until June 26th and I'm trying to arrange a meeting with the owner to discuss maintenance, however, this board might end up being my substitute.

Anyway, I just stumbled upon this site and I'm trying to absorb as much info as possible and thought I would use this tread to post any questions and report progress. Attached is a pic from the MLS listing that gives a partial view. I'll upload more later if it hasn't already been posted on here before?:sleep:

Thanks
Stephen

makoslo
06/14/2010, 02:47 PM
Do you have any experience in the hobby? There are certainly many good threads and some great articles available here that can help educate you and get you started. It's possible the former owner might already have a service contract for the Tank that you could continue until you are ready to take over. Otherwise maybe look for an LFS(local fish store) in your area that offers tank servicing or could recommend someone until you are ready for the full maintenance duty.

bassplaya12
06/14/2010, 02:49 PM
that's a big *** tank

mdb_talon
06/14/2010, 02:53 PM
I agree with makoslo. I would ask the owner if he uses a service company as well and try to just pay for that same one for a couple months. Otherwise I would look into finding someone else. If you are completely new to the hobby and in the middle of moving I just cant imagine you having the time to dedicate to learning what you need to know to maintain the tank. The money for a couple months of paying someone to take care of it until you are up to speed I would think is well worth it.

That is assuming it truly is a "reef" tank in that it has coral in it. If it is just a fish only tank without any special equipment (skimmers, reactors, etc), then the learning curve is much less and time requirement much less.

sruiz
06/14/2010, 03:07 PM
Nice tank, has a clean look to it.

Learn as much as you can now , speak with the current owner and ask him about the equipment he is running. (Write a list of all that he has) If it helps, take many pictures so that you can post here when asking questions.

Good luck

mthomp
06/14/2010, 03:09 PM
im going to say WOW. i am also going to say you should firstly find a local reef club, you will find tons of help right there and close to home. Also do not let the size intimidate you, its actually some what easier to control when they are bigger. and finally if you have any interest at all in this hobby then i would jump in and start learning.

Allmost
06/14/2010, 03:30 PM
Hello,

I just bought a house with a rather large reef tank (not sure of actual size maybe 200 gal +?) and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it other than have a fish fry or put a couple sharks in the tank. We won't be moving in until June 26th and I'm trying to arrange a meeting with the owner to discuss maintenance, however, this board might end up being my substitute.

Anyway, I just stumbled upon this site and I'm trying to absorb as much info as possible and thought I would use this tread to post any questions and report progress. Attached is a pic from the MLS listing that gives a partial view. I'll upload more later if it hasn't already been posted on here before?:sleep:

Thanks
Stephen

post ure area and I'm sure many would be happy to help you at least get started ...

nice tank from that pic though.

Indymann99
06/14/2010, 03:34 PM
Nice find on a house WITH a tank! :beer:

Floowid
06/14/2010, 03:44 PM
I think I speak for most of us when I say we would all love to have a great big beautiful tank like that fall into our hands. You don't have to be an expert to keep it, as others have mentioned you can hire someone to care for it for you.

lisafoster
06/14/2010, 04:45 PM
Lucky you what a nice tank. You will find all you need to know on this site. The challenge of keeping a saltwater tank is very rewarding

peteyp923
06/14/2010, 04:51 PM
i would have to say. SCORE!!!!!!! wow that is a awesome looking tank! I say go straight.

SPotter
06/14/2010, 05:03 PM
Oh my lord....that's a big tank!!!!! This the place to learn!

mfd574
06/14/2010, 05:03 PM
I agree that you should post where you are from so that someone close to you can help you out for a bit. There are local reef clubs listed on this website that you may want to look at also. Otherwise you can try a local fish store and see if they would help you out a bit. This hobby is an amazing thing. We are trying to keep the most complex part of the world in a glass box and when done correctly the rewards are amazing. I will warn that when bit by the reef hobby bug you will never be the same again :)

guppy74
06/14/2010, 05:17 PM
Great tank!!! I want to build one into our wall but the wife wont let me.

smb1087
06/14/2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I live in Seattle, WA and I'm definately willing to have someone near by help out for a bit or meet up with the local group.

Depending on how comfortable/confident I am after two weeks of reading, I might end up hiring a professional company but like was mentioned above, it is a large tank so its harder for me to quickly screw everything up. And at the risk of sounding like I actually know what I'm talking about there is a sump / skimmer / RO/DI behind the door in the pic.

smb1087
06/14/2010, 05:21 PM
Great tank!!! I want to build one into our wall but the wife wont let me.

Thanks. Keep trying or buy a new house with one! Kinda hard to tell from the pic but its actually a divider wall between the room pictured and the master bed on the other side.

hoffy02
06/14/2010, 05:26 PM
I cant freaking believe this!!! What a SCORE!!! Man im telling you, in a "couple of weeks" of reading here and fiddling with the tank, you will be addicted and UPGRADING!! :bounce3:

You need to keep us updated on how things go...

VacavilleFC3S
06/14/2010, 05:35 PM
WOW. i'm going to be completely honest with you though that your over your head

Dino
06/14/2010, 05:39 PM
1st thing...

http://reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif
<b><big><big>To Reef Central smb1087</big></big></b><big><big></big></big><big><big></big></big>

Second, CONGRATS on the house purchase! Always pretty exciting to move into new digs and figure out new spots to put all the STUFF. Not as much fun to move said stuff but its worth it. :D

Third, on the tank, people here have given you some good suggestions. Talk with the former owner, learn as many details as you can about the system, post them on here and people will get you all sorted out. THIS (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=538) is a link to the West Region reef clubs on RC, you can look through them and see if there is one around Seattle. I'm sure there is, also there is a bunch of stickies at the top of this forum which are great to read through and have a ton of real good info for the new people. Just don't be intimidated, once you get some of the basics down the rest comes a lot easier. :D

scottwhitson
06/14/2010, 05:40 PM
smb1087 I sent you a PM

jchase1970
06/14/2010, 05:40 PM
Depending on how comfortable/confident I am after two weeks of reading, I might end up hiring a professional company but like was mentioned above, it is a large tank so its harder for me to quickly screw everything up. And at the risk of sounding like I actually know what I'm talking about there is a sump / skimmer / RO/DI behind the door in the pic.

Yeah, big tanks are nice but trust me big tanks are not bullet proof and when you do screw it up, it is so much more dramatic. It's one think to have a couple of hundred in a small tank not doing well, that will make you worry a little. But to have a couple of thousand in a big tank going south will make you loose sleep, lol. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thekingy
06/14/2010, 07:43 PM
WoW can you post some more pics of the tank??? LOL thats awsome

smb1087
06/14/2010, 09:14 PM
WoW can you post some more pics of the tank??? LOL thats awsome

I'll take plenty of picks after we move in later this month.

Levito
06/14/2010, 09:21 PM
sweet tank, good luck!

NaClCrocodile
06/14/2010, 09:31 PM
Make sure to get dimensions so we can figure out just how big it is. When considering whether to keep it or not, think about how much a trip to the Philippines would cost and how much your tank... wait, no don't do that. The tank probably would be more lol.

smb1087
06/14/2010, 09:34 PM
Yes, I agree. Everyone knows I'm in over my head. Thanks for all the advice and I'll keep everyone updated whether good or bad :(

davewbush
06/14/2010, 09:39 PM
You have to start some where. Here is the best place. My firt tank was a 75 gal that I bought off of someone. I new nothing about salt water and at that time I didn't know that people kept salt water tanks. I didn't know about this site at the time either. I had a tank, 20 pounds of live rock, 40 pounds of live sand, (didn't know what this stuff was, or why it was called live) and the rest of the equipment I needed to run a tank. I bought aquariums for dumbies, the book. This is what I used to keep my tank running for 4 years until I started using the computer and found this site.

Your not over your head. Learn as much as you can. If your whole family likes the tank, this is a great start. Most people that don't want a tank wouldn't buy a house with one that big in it. I see the stairs and the small couches. It's a big tank but I thik the couches make it look bigger. Looks like more than 200 gal but what are the dimmensions?

ahud
06/14/2010, 09:59 PM
I don't think you are too far over your head. If the tank has been setup for awhile chances are you are cycled and have made it through most of the "tough stages".

I would just ask the owner to type me up a maintenance schedule. Then you could just follow the schedule until you learn enough to strike out on your own.

raen
06/14/2010, 10:59 PM
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

davewbush
06/15/2010, 12:45 PM
You would be in over your head if you didn't ask for help. You did the first best thing by asking questions. Not waiting until the tank goes south and then ask. We have people on this fourm of all ages. Young kids can keep reefs, but the money issues hurts them. This hobby does gets costly. This is a site set up to help people with and discuss our aquariums, not try to discurage people from trying to get into it.

Cloudburst2000
06/15/2010, 12:57 PM
That's an awesome tank! And I agree that it looks larger than 200g.

BennyFrank
06/15/2010, 01:12 PM
Good luck man... here are some of the best online resources that I've found;

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696795

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786183

http://www.reefkeeping.com

http://www.advancedaquarist.com (good info for beginners too)

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

Captinshinyside
06/15/2010, 01:17 PM
If you can get measurements of it you can find out how many gallons it is! It looks way bigger then my 210... It looks like 8 feet long maybe a bit longer.... Which makes it a big tank!

rale2001
06/15/2010, 02:46 PM
Wow that is soo cool. Fish tanks should come standard upon request with homes

gweston
06/15/2010, 03:10 PM
Awesome grab! If you are up for spending some time reading up and are interested/driven to have a reef tank... you'll be well on your way. Try not to get overwhelmed. I have only been at this myself for ~6 months. The first few weeks involved a lot of reading and learning. Visiting a lot of other reefers, and asking lots of questions. Seeing a few other tanks in operation and talking to people goes a long way to increase one's confidence!

travis32
06/15/2010, 03:17 PM
Well, I'm really surprised that no one asked this... But, Umm, Is the tank something you want to take on? You mentioned a fish fry or introducing sharks. Which I take as jokingly, but, is this a hobby you want to get into, did you buy the house for the tank? or was the tank just something that's there, you took it because the house was the best fit for you, and you don't really want the tank it's just there?

If it's not a hobby you're interested in, then, by all means find someone take the livestock.... Don't have a fish fry..... ;)

Welcome, and I hope you actually want to enjoy the hobby. It's very rewarding!

Create
06/15/2010, 03:22 PM
I second travis32.

Also, I am guessing you aren't getting any livestock. Is he planning on selling/taking the lviestock with him?

If you aren't getting any livestock, I would think about the hobby for a while before jumping into it. If it is not for you , you could sell off the equipment, patch the wall and gain a large closet.

Ben

smb1087
06/15/2010, 04:48 PM
You would be in over your head if you didn't ask for help. You did the first best thing by asking questions. Not waiting until the tank goes south and then ask. We have people on this fourm of all ages. Young kids can keep reefs, but the money issues hurts them. This hobby does gets costly. This is a site set up to help people with and discuss our aquariums, not try to discurage people from trying to get into it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. They will be especially usefull if/when my wife starts to discourage me. I tend to be a pretty big DIYer/learn on my own type so I hopeful I can handle this.

I'm scheduling a final walkthrough of the house prior to close and should have a tank walkthrough with the current owner during that time. So that coupled with reading from the fire hose on this site should hopefully get me to where I need to be.

smb1087
06/15/2010, 04:55 PM
Well, I'm really surprised that no one asked this... But, Umm, Is the tank something you want to take on? You mentioned a fish fry or introducing sharks. Which I take as jokingly, but, is this a hobby you want to get into, did you buy the house for the tank? or was the tank just something that's there, you took it because the house was the best fit for you, and you don't really want the tank it's just there?

If it's not a hobby you're interested in, then, by all means find someone take the livestock.... Don't have a fish fry..... ;)

Welcome, and I hope you actually want to enjoy the hobby. It's very rewarding!

Yes, the fish fry/sharks was tongue in cheek. I wanted a reef tank awhile ago (since 04) but never got into the hobby due to my job's constant relocation requirements. Thats all changed now.

When we saw this house we were going to buy it regardless of the tank so it is just an added bonus and chance for me to get thrown right into the mix. I'm excited about the hobby, its challenges and usually can't stop thinking about it before I go to sleep at night - makes me a nervous wreck thinking about all that can go wrong. :hmm4:

smb1087
06/15/2010, 05:00 PM
I second travis32.

Also, I am guessing you aren't getting any livestock. Is he planning on selling/taking the lviestock with him?

If you aren't getting any livestock, I would think about the hobby for a while before jumping into it. If it is not for you , you could sell off the equipment, patch the wall and gain a large closet.

Ben

No, the current owner stated everything stays including livestock (he has some clowns/tangs and some others). I've thought about it and have a very large interest in it. Its just one of those things that I'm hoping will turn into a passion and if it turns out to more of a pain in the *** then I will sell it all, patch the wall up like you mentioned or make the tank a maintenance free terarium. I'm not sure what would become of the space if we sold it since the tank is part of the dividing wall between the room pictured and the master bed - you can see through it into both rooms.

smb1087
06/15/2010, 05:02 PM
If you can get measurements of it you can find out how many gallons it is! It looks way bigger then my 210... It looks like 8 feet long maybe a bit longer.... Which makes it a big tank!

I think it is a little longer than 8 feet. My best guess is 250gal. I should find out for sure when I talk with the current owner during the final house walk through.

Dipandots
06/15/2010, 05:15 PM
Wow! Congratulations on the new home and tank!

I need to add "Huge Tank" to my list of requirements for my first house (college student here).

As others have said it, you can be very successful in this hobby, especially if you do your homework. Good luck and have fun.

smb1087
06/15/2010, 05:20 PM
Good luck man... here are some of the best online resources that I've found;

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696795

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786183

http://www.reefkeeping.com

http://www.advancedaquarist.com (good info for beginners too)

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

ahhhh more reading! Thanks for sharing.

Create
06/15/2010, 06:15 PM
Thats awesome that you get to keep the livestock. Then I am with everyone else. Pay someone to stop by and take care of it for a bit while you buff up on it. Ask them questions, learn about the hobby. Let this tank grow some, and when you feel like you are into it, start purchasing and maintaining it yourself.

ben

HHIreefer843
06/15/2010, 06:23 PM
omg congrats....im sure i am speaking for a lot of people on here that we all hope you stay in the hobby, feel free to ask questions all the great minds on here will be sure to help you!!!!

Snausy
06/15/2010, 07:28 PM
Wow that's a beautiful tank. We are going to do an in-wall at some point in the future too and I'm jealous! I live in the Seattle area as well and can recommend a few great shops in the local area. I hope this is ok to do but I'll just name them. I think it's important to be dealing with knowledgable and helpful people when you are new to the hobby.

Saltwater City in Bellevue is a great store with people who care about SW. Might spend a bit more but it's always been a good place for me.

Barrier Reef in Renton is awesome. It's hard to find in a crazy spot at the back of a building but it's like finding the lost city of gold when you walk in.

The Fish Store in Seattle is an old favorite, the personel has changed over the years but they have a decent stock.

My first bit of advice to you is this: Adjust your budget to include this expensive hobby because once you get started it's hard to stop and it can be expensive. lol

Looks like a 300+ gallon there possibly. Hook us up with the dimensions! That's a lot of salt but if you have a big dogface puffer in there or something it's WELL worth it.

Congrats on the new house/tank. Lucky lucky imho but I'm a fishtank freak like the rest of these people. Your wife/if married might not be so happy about it once she understands the committment. :) Let her name the fish...give her a reason to love them! lol

outy
06/15/2010, 08:02 PM
it looks in the 400g range on a guess, way to big for a 210.

youll make a big commitment to keep it but its very rewarding. very well could be a couple hundred for electricity a month just for the tank lol

Im with everyone read here and read allot, get all the knowldge you can

A very long talk with the previous owner and this site and youll be fine

after 14 years all I can say is dont cut corner's follow owners advise to the T until you learn enough to pilot it on your own. Its not that hard bud youll have a blast

Dustin1300
06/15/2010, 08:59 PM
Wow is all I can say. Good luck and you've come to the right place. I'd guess at least 300-400 gallons but cannot tell the depth of the tank really which can change the amount of gallons rather quickly:)

Good luck and ask questions on RC...We are all here to help:thumbsup:

visiontech4x4
06/15/2010, 11:06 PM
Anyone know what size tank this is?

Cloudburst2000
06/16/2010, 01:24 AM
Anyone know what size tank this is?

It's anyone guess at the moment until we get dimensions. The going guess is...dang big! Probably over 300g, maybe over 400g.

Maxi
06/16/2010, 07:45 AM

It is true about young kids. I think I was 13 or 14 when I first started reefs, I'm 17 and I still have corals from the very beginning. Just read up, and listen to peoples various experiences, and you will avoid 20,000 mistakes. Also, reading up saves you money :D

eb8919
06/16/2010, 08:25 AM
Welcome, aren't you lucky...I think once you get settled in and get in the swing of the hobby...you'll be addicted like the rest of us :)

B_Man
06/16/2010, 08:36 AM
welcome, aren't you lucky...i think once you get settled in and get in the swing of the hobby...you'll be addicted like the rest of us :)

+1

thebkramer
06/16/2010, 08:53 AM
No, the current owner stated everything stays including livestock (he has some clowns/tangs and some others). I've thought about it and have a very large interest in it. Its just one of those things that I'm hoping will turn into a passion and if it turns out to more of a pain in the *** then I will sell it all, patch the wall up like you mentioned or make the tank a maintenance free terarium. I'm not sure what would become of the space if we sold it since the tank is part of the dividing wall between the room pictured and the master bed - you can see through it into both rooms.

If you have a love for saltwater fish and how beautiful reefs look...You WILL be interested and ADDICTED before you know it!! :lmao:
Just take the time to do some research and ask, ask, ask lots of questions here!! We are here to help!! Look into finding someone with experience to clean and help you along for now until you get the hang of it. A tank that big you may always want someone else to clean it for you!! HA!!
Anyways...awsome find!! Wish I was soooo lucky!!
Keep us updated! :) :bounce3:

biecacka
06/16/2010, 09:26 AM
nice tank...........house looks okay too :D
good luck man you are in the right place to learn
corey

davewbush
06/16/2010, 11:26 AM
It is true about young kids. I think I was 13 or 14 when I first started reefs, I'm 17 and I still have corals from the very beginning. Just read up, and listen to peoples various experiences, and you will avoid 20,000 mistakes. Also, reading up saves you money :D

I think 95% of kids under 16 would have a hard time affording the hobby on there own. I know I would of. I still have a hard time affording it some times now at 31. Great to hear you started at a young age.

panda bb
06/16/2010, 11:48 AM
holy crap, that would be the selling point of the house for me, that tank is massive! I'm in to see the actual size of it and more pics of it.

brgmini
06/16/2010, 12:51 PM
Wow! that is an awesome tank, cant wait to see more pictures. Especially since the livestock is included. Good luck, as everyone has stated already you will be fine just do plenty of reading and listening and you will learn more than you could ever imagine.

kkrawler
06/16/2010, 07:32 PM
now there's some "sweat equity" for ya! :)

wickedfish
06/16/2010, 11:02 PM
Dude I just bought my house and quickly spent 4 mortgages in less than 4 months, dude you freakin scored. Keep it its work that will make you feel good, if that makes sense. I am jealous on the size buddy. Anyways dont live in Seattle but before you know it everyone will be helping you out if you want them to.

rpjaws74
06/17/2010, 09:23 PM
indeed very nice

Skallagrim
06/17/2010, 10:21 PM
I'm in a similar boat. I have wanted a reef tank for a while now but never had one. I am building a house with a 350 Gallon tank showcased in the middle of a living dining and kitchen area. I am terrified of creating an eyesore in such a prominent area in my house.

I have been reading feverishly as well.

beijo gaem
06/17/2010, 10:37 PM
Nice find on a house WITH a tank! :beer:

co-sign.

smb1087
06/23/2010, 04:47 AM
Met with the owner last night and here is the run down:
-240 gal reef tank
-around 9 - 10 fish and other random criters. My favorite is the serpentine starfish.
-has a sump,skimmer, ro/di filter, calcium reactor, auto top-off
-water changes every 2 weeks. Not sure what %.

He said it was the previous house owner's tank so its is at least 12 years old. Over time he has gotten lazy and started hiring a company to come out and maintain the it. I think I could probably handle it but I'm going to use the tank company at least initially to get started.

I'll post more pics/info after we move in on Sun.

Snausy
06/23/2010, 03:18 PM
Typically water-changes are 25-30%.

Wondering if you should maybe go with a FOWLR tank for awhile first. They are SO much easier to maintain and not kill everything. Fish can take much more "abuse" than corals and the like and there are still tons of crazy marine life in all the live-rock. Some of it makes it, some of it gets eaten. You never know.

After a few years of sandy bottom I moved to bare-bottom to get most of the crap to my skimmer instead of it being in the sand and screwing my water-parameters. It was the best thing I ever did in this hobby imho and made my life so much easier. It will still be really awesome if you have the right fish in there. Great for a beginner, you can be lazy and make mistakes and everything will be fine for the most part. Most of the SW tanks you see in buisinesses with the big beautiful cool fish swimming around are FOWLR. Easier to maintain and people love watching the fish doing whatever they do.

My dogface puffer is more like a pet in a tank than just another fish in "the tank"...if you know what I mean. It's all about the personalities in the tank. Certain fish have MUCH more personality than others. I find my dogface, trigger and hawkfish sit there and watch people and interact with you when other fish just swim around and don't really see anything outside the tank. They will make you laugh out loud much more ime. The kids couldn't live without Sluggo the puffer at this point. They love him as much as our dog.

Of course, these fish could never be kept in a reef tank and that's the trade-off. Cooler fish with personality.....or corals. No offense to you reef-keepers. I'm sure there are some cool reef-safe fish as well but it's very hard to beat a puffer in terms of pet status and personality imho.

My buddy has a really nice reef tank but while it's a pretty tank, there isn't much personality in it. He doesn't really care about the fish individually like I do mine and honestly it looks the same everytime I go over there.

Something to think about. I'm sure it will be awesome whatever you decide to do.

Make sure you stick around and watch those guys when they come to work on your tank. See what they do and then come here and talk about it. You will learn plenty that way. You might even learn that they are cutting corners and charging you for things that just aren't necessary.

Good luck, my wife and I are jealous and now dreaming of a built-in as well. :celeb1:

HHIreefer843
06/23/2010, 04:46 PM
Cant wait to see the picture!!!! but that looks alot bigger than a 240!!!

steamer51
06/24/2010, 12:40 AM
Maybe since the guy bought the house with the tank he is mistaken about it being a 240. I have had lots of people tell me their tank was a certain size and be wrong. Measure it when you get a chance. A 240 (long) should be 8 feet long, 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall. Perhaps it is the angle of the picture but that looks to me more like 11 feet long. There is a volume calculator at http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/tank-volume

smb1087
06/29/2010, 12:40 PM
Measured the tank tonight and it is 8ftx2ftx2ft = 239.4gal

I found the original owner's maintenance manual and he surprisingly notes that he does not perform water changes and feels strongly against them. He has trace elements that he adds to the water to make up for this. My thinking was that I would do a 20% water change on a monthy basis based on the conventional aquarist wisdom but now I'm wondering if its necessary.

Feeding: How do I know what the right amount is?

Fish are: 2 clowns, 1 tang, two other fish (one is probably a type of angel), and what looks like a cleaner fish that comes out sparingly. Corals: Some mushrooms, 2 anemones and stuff that I don't know what it is.

I have a lot of Formula 1 cubes and brine shrimp cubes and that's it. I fed them 2 brine shrimp cubes yesterday and they moped it up fast without any food falling down to the bottom feeders.

I know the tang is a vegetarian and the set-up does not have a refuge for algae. Do they eat algae/nori only or is it ridiculus to stick a leaf of lettuce/spinach in the tank? Should I set up a refuge in the sump to feed all the criters some algae?

Do I need to feed the anemones or is it ok on it's own?

Water Temp: It has fluctuated between 76F-77F. Is this too cold? The manual indicated that the lighting has been a sufficient heating source in the past.

PH/ALK/Cal/Mg/Nitrates/Salinity - Testing these tonight with the kits and refract that were left. Anything else I should be testing or not be testing?

Last, we are going to be out of town for a week starting the 1st. Is necessary to have someone come in a feed 3-4 times, clean the skimmer etc or is there some type of preferred vacation feeding system?

That's it for my noob questions. Please point out any glaring gaps. I promise pictures soon, however, the cord to upload pictures is stuck in a random moving box atm. As soon as its found I'll post.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

corbett_n
06/29/2010, 12:59 PM
well i would do water changes

MrsHaggis
06/29/2010, 01:09 PM
This is officially the most jealous I have ever been but I will endeavour to help you anyway...... :O)

You can get frozen spinach for the tangs, or nori sheets that they can nibble on. Your cubes of food are probably a different size in US than here in Europe so I won't comment on that and I'm sure a fellow American can help out!!

The temperature is fine. No worries there. Anything from 76 to 79 is fine.

As for water changes I am not one of those people who do the 10 or 20 % per week, I do water changes when I have the time and for the moment it works. You do not have a lot of corals for the minute so your water quality does not have to be pristine; eventually though you (and I) will have to get some kind of schedule for water changes.

Depending on the type of anemone it will need some sort of direct feeding but I'm really not the specialist here; I'm sure someone else can help more!!

You should also test KH, Ammonia, Nitrite (those last two just to make sure), Phosphates are important to test - add that to the rest of your tests and your should be fine.

When out of town - you have an auto-top off so that is good; but make sure it has enough water for one week!!! You need to get someone to feed the fish at least once during that period but everything else should be fine. It's a big tank so water changes can be skipped for one week without much problem.

Take pictures of everything and we can help you to ID stuff so that you know exactly what you have in there!!

Welcome to the hobby; great house and great tank!!
I'm going to scream into a pillow now......ease off my jealous streak!!!!

Cheers
Fiona

Nakzter
06/29/2010, 01:18 PM
Did I read that your master bedroom is divided by the tank?

Making sexy time while checking out your tank all in one!!! :celeb2::beer:

smb1087
06/29/2010, 01:22 PM
Your cubes of food are probably a different size in US than here in Europe so I won't comment on that and I'm sure a fellow American can help out!!

Thanks for the info Fiona. The cube food instructions are in French/German/Italian/British English so they are probably the same size that you're using. My guess is that they are 1cmx1cm/1cm.

phenom5
06/29/2010, 01:44 PM
I would definitely do water changes. I prefer small more frequent changes, but monthly could work. Water changes replace trace elements & remove nutrients. I wouldn't dose the trace elements since you can't test for it. General rule with reefs, don't dose anything you don't test for.

Feed as much as can be eaten in a couple of minutes. I like feeding small amounts 2 or 3 times throughout the day, depending on my schedule.

The biggest challenge when you're out of town is freshwater top off. Might look into an automatic top off set up. Great to have period, and nice for when you're out of town. I usually shut down my skimmer when I'm out of town. One less thing for the tank sitter to deal with, and unless you're going to be gone for a really long time you tank will be fine.

Levito
06/29/2010, 01:44 PM
Did I read that your master bedroom is divided by the tank?

Making sexy time while checking out your tank all in one!!! :celeb2::beer:

Haha, that's a surefire way to **** the wife off. "Are you talking to me, or the other tang?" Lol.

As for the water changes, definitely do regular, 10-20% changes. You may notice that everything in the tank looks a lot happier almost immediately after adding fresh salt water, especially the anemone and corals.

lisafoster
06/29/2010, 05:00 PM
He may get away without water changes because his bioload is not very high. I would do water changes everything looks so much better.

Lucidbeam
06/29/2010, 06:22 PM
That is so cool. Nice score. Just to warn you once you start it can get addictive. :)

Steve175
06/29/2010, 09:59 PM
Pictures??? Type of equipment (skimmer, Ca reactor, pumps, etc)???

MrsHaggis
06/30/2010, 02:00 AM
OK, food wise - the trick is not to overfeed and the poor little mites ALWAYS look starving!!!! Every time you pass the tank they will be begging for more......

First of all we need to ID all of the inhabitants of the tank so we know if they are meat eaters or algae eaters. The two clowns definitely like their meat and they will need a quarter (maximum I would think) of a cube per day.....

Half a cube of spinach for the tang - is there more than one, can't remember!?

I don't actually use cubes, I've got one big slab that I cut slithers off - my husband is always berating me for feeding too much........it is a case of trial and error as well; you have to see how much they scoop up in 2 minutes; anything else is overkill.

Snausy
06/30/2010, 10:43 PM
Many of us get lazy with the water-changes. I'm lucky that I don't have any corals.

My tank gets 30% once a month currently. The fish do indeed look and act happier when I do them.

I'm about to upgrade to a 300g this week so a 50gallon water-change(50% of my current tank) will only be roughly 16%! arrrgh That's a lot of salt man. Maybe I'll do that twice a month...bah.

Good luck! Looking forward to pictures of all the fish and equipment. You certainly found the right place for help. All these people are crazy for saltwater fishtanks :spin3:!

goochesfish
06/30/2010, 11:18 PM
Congratulations! That's an awesome tank and the room is so colorful. Thought it was a playroom until you said you can see through the master.

smb1087
07/22/2010, 07:42 PM
Its been a while since I last updated the post. Finally got around to taking some pictures. Sorry for the poor quality.

Here is what I think I have:

Fish:
2 clowns of some type
Hippo Tang
Rabbitfish
Cardinal
Watchman Goby

Inverts:
Serpent Star
3 Scarlet Shrimp
Hermit Crabs
Snails etc

Coral:
Anenome of some type
Mushroom coral of some type?
Some type of other coral
Aipstasia

smb1087
07/22/2010, 07:47 PM
more pics of sump, skimmer, lights, tang and some corals

James404
07/22/2010, 07:49 PM
Lookin good, I would kill that aiptasia though!

smb1087
07/22/2010, 07:52 PM
more pics

Levito
07/22/2010, 07:59 PM
Those are skunk cleaner shrimp, not scarlets. And it looks like the frogspawn coral (first pic on your last post) has seen better days. I'm guessing the rabbitfish has been eating it. Might have to get rid of him. And add a few peppermint shrimp to take care of the aptasia.
The tank needs a little TLC but you should be able to get it back in shape with a little work.
Good luck!

diciple
07/22/2010, 08:06 PM
That picture of your hood and lites scares me !looks like a ballast hanging not good check all electrcal conections make water proof as possible and get a experienced reefer over asap to give a hand .i hope you and family the besdt and enjoy your new home and aquarium,R/C folks are always around 24/7 for advice Rich

smb1087
07/22/2010, 10:08 PM
Those are skunk cleaner shrimp, not scarlets. And it looks like the frogspawn coral (first pic on your last post) has seen better days. I'm guessing the rabbitfish has been eating it. Might have to get rid of him. And add a few peppermint shrimp to take care of the aptasia.
The tank needs a little TLC but you should be able to get it back in shape with a little work.
Good luck!

I haven't noticed the rabbitfish eating it but I'll keep a closer eye on it and get rid of it if necessary. I'll add the peppermint shrimp to take care of the aptasia problem. Thanks for the advice!

smb1087
07/22/2010, 10:23 PM
That picture of your hood and lites scares me !looks like a ballast hanging not good check all electrcal conections make water proof as possible and get a experienced reefer over asap to give a hand .i hope you and family the besdt and enjoy your new home and aquarium,R/C folks are always around 24/7 for advice Rich

Will do. The lighting set-up kind of has me confused and it all looks kind of jerry rigged. Its all on timers but I haven't looked into the age of the bulbs, what type, etc. Thanks

bleedfire
07/22/2010, 10:40 PM
What would really help this topic... the true owner just happen to be a member of the furom, track him Lol. Sure as hell if his into the hobby his on this site.

smb1087
07/22/2010, 10:45 PM
Pictures??? Type of equipment (skimmer, Ca reactor, pumps, etc)???

Skimmer = ETSS
Ca Reactor = K2R
Skimmer Pump = Iwasa Magnet Pump
2 Sump Return Pumps = Not sure what type?
2 heaters = 1 200w and 1 ?watt...its all crusted over with hard yellow stuff..calcium?
Kent Auto Top Off thats crusted over with yellow stuff along with the entire bottom of the sump is crusted over with yellow.

Equipment Pics Below

I'm not sure what the last pic is. Its plugged into the same powerstrips as the lights...a wattage booster?

artur
07/22/2010, 10:45 PM
Stephen let me suggest the book that I think is the ABC in reefkeeping
The Reef Aquarium 3, by Sprung and Delbeek
This book covers all the basics that us (other reefers) take for granted that you allready know.
This is a great book, I read it all when I bought it, and often read specific topics of it as I learn new stuff
Good luck

smb1087
07/23/2010, 01:28 PM
Good luck!

I've read that the foxface rabbitfish will eat the peppermint shrimp?

Levito
07/23/2010, 01:36 PM
I've read that the foxface rabbitfish will eat the peppermint shrimp?

I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure. Foxface's are generally herbivores who sometimes get a taste for coral. I haven't kept one, mainly for that reason. I'm sure someone else can chime in to confirm, but if he hasn't eaten your cleaner shrimp, peppermints should be safe as well.

stlcardinalnut
07/23/2010, 03:29 PM
In the pictures I didn't see a clean up crew (besides the cleaner shrimp, but that doesn't count). Maybe it was just the picture, but noticed some detritus buildup on the sand. Want to make sure you have plenty of snails and hermits to help you clean the tank.

Nice find though, that is a great setup!

stlcardinalnut
07/23/2010, 03:32 PM
I just re-read your list and looks like you have hermits and snails...:spin2:

luisgo
07/23/2010, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure what the last pic is. Its plugged into the same powerstrips as the lights...a wattage booster?

That is the ballast of the metal halide lights.

1sirjustis
07/23/2010, 05:32 PM
does RC have a link to locals in your area?? like a seatle forum??? we have the richmond forum and ive met tons of locals in my area that are in the hobby! i would strongly suggest doing that and then hosting some sort of meet to get you more comfortable with your new hobby!!!