PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer help

jase75
06/14/2010, 03:09 PM
I have a 50 gal tank that has been setup about 6 months now. Finally got a good deal on a skimmer a few weeks ago (Aqua C Remora with Mag 3 pump, I think). Its working well, I get a pretty good skimmate. Problem is I think the micro bubbles getting back into the tank are working too. I got a scummy surface now. Could I lay paper towel or something on the surface to collect the excess? Any suggestions are appreciated. Or should I wait it out? Thanks

snarkes
06/14/2010, 03:40 PM
You COULD do that, but the better/long term solution would be to have better surface agitation.

Allmost
06/14/2010, 03:44 PM
as I see thre are 2 different problems here.,

one is the oily film you have on surface which is resolved by more surface agitation and or surface skimming.

and other is micro bubbles, which take some time for the skimmer to break in, and also if you dial it correctly you will get no micro bubbles.

no sump I'm assuming right ?

Dustin1300
06/14/2010, 08:21 PM
Allmost is right that most likely the micros are from the skimmer breaking in. Give a couple weeks then see what the next step is should they still be around.

capecoral
06/14/2010, 10:54 PM
May you could lay a lid down until it touches the water. That way you could also look down from the top.

singold
06/14/2010, 11:18 PM
Just empty the overflow cup as needed, unless you are over-skimming (which is not as productive IMO) & can't keep up with. In this case, dial the skimmer back some.

jase75
06/19/2010, 07:40 AM
I just did a water change and tried to collect as much of the scum as I could. Doesn't seem quite as bad as when I first posted on this. How can I tell if I'm overskimming? Didn't think that was possible, but still learning...

sedor
06/19/2010, 08:09 AM
Overskimming should be referred to as wet skimming. Basically if the skimmate is clear with just a slight green tint, then your skimming a little to wet. You want to hit that sweet spot where the filter is still collecting a good amount of crud, but not just water.

jase75
06/19/2010, 08:38 AM
So I should set the skimmer cup higher?

capecoral
06/23/2010, 08:45 AM
I am thinking of a jelly fish tank. If I made it myself, can you still skim? The desktop ones you buy don't have a skimmer, I don't think. They say they eat lots of floating food, and I would not want to take the food out.