PDA

View Full Version : Last minute advice! My very first corals are coming tomorrow!

Ston3
06/14/2010, 08:38 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm excited to share that I will be receiving my first corals ever tomorrow! I've been as patient as I can be. My tank has been established since late February of this year. I kinda went order crazy and tried to hit $225 at liveaquaria so I could get free shipping. You can see my existing inhabitants in my signature. In addition to that, I am going to be receiving:

1 randalls shrimp goby
1 red banded pistol shrimp
1 dwarf feather duster (low)
1 bubble tip anemone (top, going to feed it silversides)
1 duncan coral (low)
1 brain coral (sand)
1 zoanthid (middle)
1 xenia (middle)
1 bottle of tiger copepods (to populate my tank)
and I ordered some macro as well

I just bought a current usa sundial 4x24w t5ho fixture. It's not the best, but it fits my 30" length and has timers, moon LEDs, and only uses one cord. I have changed out two of the bulbs (1 of the 10k and 1 of the actinic) for a powerchrome aquablue+ and actinic+.

Now I know my parameters are not absolutely perfect, but I recently started skimming from a few week break (leaking electricity issues, not resolved, but o well). I plan on doing another 25% wc when my stock arrives and then more in a few days as necessary. I have some big fish A and B supplement and trace elements as well. Well here are my parameters:

Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
sG: 1.025
pH: 8.2
Ca: 500
Alk: ? I know I need to buy a kit for this

So, my question to you all is: what advice do you have for me? Any comments/criticism is welcome. I plan on having mostly LPS and softies with some SPS near the top. Wish me luck!

90greefman
06/14/2010, 08:58 PM
Very exciting, congrats. Just make sure you acclimate all of the new additions accordingly. My only thoughts are to only introduce a few corals at a time rather than an army. If for some odd reason something went south right after you introduce all of your new additions and they die you are out some good money. I would also consider starting them at the bottom of the tank and moving them up as they adjust to their new environment.

Good luck!

solitude127
06/14/2010, 09:08 PM
Acclimate your anemone and shrimp very slow.

Ston3
06/14/2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will make sure to acclimate them all properly.

BrokeColoReefer
06/14/2010, 09:50 PM
Just one thought.. if calcium is that high.. i wonder how low the Alk is?

Good luck with your first order! I love getting things in the mail :)

lReef_lKeeper
06/14/2010, 09:52 PM
be sure to do that WC ... buy a magnesium test kit when you buy the alk kit.

mcoomer
06/14/2010, 09:53 PM
Are you sure you want the xenia in your tank? If it begins to take off make sure you have lots of friends that want a piece. It can grow like wildfire and overrun your tank. Also, what are you doing to get your Ca to 500? You really need to check your alkalinity.

Mike

jedheuer
06/14/2010, 09:55 PM
Good livestock selections to start with. They are all interesting organisms and hardy as well. Like some one mentioned above acclimate the inverts slowly. Also enjoy... the first couple of pieces you add are so fun to watch grow and change in your tank.

Ston3
06/14/2010, 09:58 PM
I'm not adding anything. Last time I checked the alk with a test kit that was included with the tank (from craigslist) it was "normal." I know I have to buy a reliable test kit. I will make sure I get a mg kit too.

I know xenia are notorious for over running tanks. I figured I can give away frags or just toss them as they get out of control. I really enjoy the way they pulse. However, I am aware that they may not even pulse at all, so well see what happens.

BrokeColoReefer
06/14/2010, 10:10 PM
Hang out in the chemistry section, its exciting place! alk cal and mag all go hand in hand. Calcium drives Alk down, which makes PH unstable. You cant have (i dont think) a reading of 500 calcium and have normal alk levels.

I love xenia, it does need to be kept in check for sure, but i find that the xenia are a good indicator of water quality. Poor = no pulse (at least with my xenia)

Ston3
06/14/2010, 10:12 PM
Cool thanks for the help everyone! and yes I love getting livestock in the mail too! I can't wait, its like christmas eve. I'm probably a little off on my Ca. I tested using the "low resolution" to save more tests.