PDA

View Full Version : It finally happened, I dropped my camera

Recty
06/15/2010, 12:12 AM
Well, I was holding my 6 week old and had to choose between grabbing for the camera or her... thankfully fatherly instincts override the photographer in me :)

My camera survived the fall fine and is still taking nice pictures, I tested it out. It was only about 3.5' down to soft carpet, but the 580EX ii got sheared off the hot shoe due to the lateral gee's it pulled when it landed sideways.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/Recty/flash001.jpg

I'm assuming I can send this in for repair just like a camera? It's a $400 flash, so even if it costs me $150 to get it repaired I'm better off doing that...

Anyone have any experience getting flashes repaired? Anyone in Alaska know of an authorized Canon repair shop that could do it? Or do I just send it in to Canon?

Dino
06/15/2010, 04:24 AM
If you want to you can probably fix the flash yourself. If I remember correctly the foot isn't all that hard to replace, heck you can buy modded feet from places like Flash Zebra (http://flashzebra.com/canon580ex_footassembly.shtml) (this one is for the 580EX Mark 1, not 2 like you have, modded so it has a minijack port). You can probably buy a new foot directly from Canon, I know they send out parts and have heard of people repairing on their own the head part of the flash which is much more complicated. :)

Of course fixing it yourself means you'd have to pay for it so wouldn't be covered by any kind of warranty.

Dino
06/15/2010, 04:43 AM
Here is a parts catalog for the 580EX Mark I, though I'm guessing there probably hasn't been a lot off internal changes in the foot assembly - 580EX Parts Catalog (http://www.strappe.com/pics/manuals/photography/Speedlite%20580EX.pdf)

Taken from this thread, post #23 (this guy is repairing the opposite end but still might be some info you'd be interested in). Thread (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=523087&highlight=580ex+broken+repair), I'm not sure what the phone number is. You might have to do some digging for that - of course if this is the route you'd like to go.

roger5443
06/15/2010, 05:56 AM
sorry to see your flash like that. they break so easily but better the flash than the body or lens. couple months ago my 580 shattered quite a bit worse than yours did. the camera was sitting on a desk during an exhibit meanwhile a guest wasn't paying attention and hit the camera off the desk. the flash took the biggest hit and shattered into a dozen pieces. the person said.. is it broken!? didn't think it was fixable so forked the cash for a new one. the person who hit it paid half but was a process and uncomfortable asking for the money. mine broke just like yours on the base but a bunch of other pieces flew out also. didn't look repairable. the looks of yours seems it would be simple to repair. hopefully it will be like new :)

Recty
06/15/2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I didnt even think about just ordering the part and doing it myself.

The wiring seems fine, only one wire pulled off of it's spot and I have a solder iron at work so I can fix that again, I'm just got to make sure I know where it needs to go.

It doesnt look like it, but the metal part of the foot hooks to some plastic and it broke that plastic away, so I'll definitely need to buy a new foot.

I'll try to find parts later on in the day.

Recty
06/15/2010, 10:27 AM
Hmmm, this is actually going to be easier than I thought. It looks like I need this part...

http://www.uscamera.com/cy2-4220.htm

And I'll probably get that ordered today and have it here by the end of the week. It should be about 4 screws out and 4 screws in and I'll have a working flash again!

Reef Bass
06/16/2010, 07:06 AM
That's good news! Yay for a simple and inexpensive solution. Reinforces the "glad I dropped the camera and not the kid" thing. ;)

Recty
06/16/2010, 10:05 AM
That's good news! Yay for a simple and inexpensive solution. Reinforces the "glad I dropped the camera and not the kid" thing. ;)

Haha, yeah. My wife would have reinforced it with a swift boot to my head and making me sleep on the couch for a week, if not permanently, so luckily I made the right decision ;)

TitusvileSurfer
06/18/2010, 12:10 AM
I'm glad your body, lens, and toddler are okay! Hurray for simi-simple fixes!

Recty
06/18/2010, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I'm glad it was relatively cheap and a simple do it myself type fix.

I'd never be able to throw this cute face across the room and save a camera instead ;)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/Recty/nicole070.jpg

maroun.c
06/19/2010, 12:24 AM
Sweet baby,
Guess you got lucky with the flash. I've had worst repaired and sometimes they can even switch housing if you brake big parts of it and the internal is still working.
Would still send the body for a quick check as sometimes strong hits on the camera can cause affect the autofocus and casue back focusing or front focusing...
Just a quick check that you could combine with a CCD cleaning... is always a good thing to do on yearly basis anyway...

Recty
06/19/2010, 02:04 AM
Yeah, I thought about it but right now I really dont want to be without my camera for any amount of time as my baby is changing daily ;)

I took it out for a walk about and have shot quite a bit of baby pictures indoors and havent noticed any problems at all, I think the camera came out of the fiasco just fine.

I'm so glad I didnt have my 100-400L on there, that would have probably broken the mount when it hit. I instead had my super light tiny 50mm f/1.4 on it and that's a very good lens to have on it the camera drops :)

Dino
06/19/2010, 04:31 AM
Yeah, I thought about it but right now I really dont want to be without my camera for any amount of time as my baby is changing daily ;)

This obviously calls for only one solution.

You're going to have to buy a second body as a "backup" just in case this sort of thing happens again ;).

Reef Bass
06/19/2010, 06:53 AM
:lol: Dino is so right!

BlueCorn
06/19/2010, 09:29 AM
Yup. A backup is a must. It can also expand your range. I've got a full-frame for most things and my backup is a crop so it stays on my 100-400 most of the time. That extra magnification comes in handy.

Recty
06/19/2010, 01:49 PM
In theory that is a great idea. In practicality, that means I would have to purchase a 5Dmk II or 1Ds mk III, which would be a $2600 or $8000 hole in my wallet.

I've got plans to buy a new camera still it's just a little ways down the road :)

BlueCorn
06/19/2010, 01:50 PM
So?

:lol2:

Recty
06/19/2010, 11:22 PM
So?

:lol2:

I like your thinking... unfortunately my wife and baby demand I spend money on them ;)

Reef Bass
06/20/2010, 06:52 AM
Again, so??? ;)

Doug, I get the intended use of the crop body on the 100-400. Good idea.