PDA

View Full Version : 90 Gallon reef to FOWLR suggestions

Abraxos
06/15/2010, 01:53 PM
I've had a "reef" tank for a while and haven't had any luck selling it. It's a 90 gallon. I've had a jumper and a few deaths from a power outtage while I was at work and have considered breaking it down and making it FOWLR for a new look. One big reason is that I like fish better than coral and several fish that brought me into the hobby aren't cool with coral. So a few questions for the experts if anyone wants to help out.
1. I really would like a Trigger, Tang, and Wrasse and then something smaller to fill in, maybe a dwarf angel or a Hawkfish. Again haven't started full research although I know the Trigger is the tough one to match up.
2. What order would I add these?
3. Which types of the above are best for a 90 Gallon?
4. Should I leave my corals (Mostly GSP, Hammerheads, Leathers, Colt and mushrooms)?

I'm still in the "thinking about it" stage so any help or advice is welcome. I would prefer to sound dumb now than to learn the hard way later. :)

namxas
06/16/2010, 06:01 PM
if you go with a planktonic-feeding trigger (genus Xanthichtys, Melichthys, Odonus), you should have fewer compatibility issues than with some of their rowdier cousins.

also, stay with a smaller tang (selected Acanthurus, Ctenochaetus, Zebrasoma sp.), which you'll need to research individually.

same with wrasses (genus Halichoeres). stay away from Thalassoma sp. as they get big and mean.

HTH

palmer373
06/16/2010, 06:16 PM
if your going the FOWLR route i like the look of some tobys (type of puffer) and some anthias. if i were you i would go to liveaquaria.com and just look through the marine fish section and pick out a list of fish that appeal to you and are listed to work for you tank size.

Abraxos
06/16/2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. That gives me some idea to start with. As for Live Aquaria, I went to the site today actually and did a little browsing. Based off this info, I will go back and see what I like and compare it to what was suggested and compile a list.

Abraxos
06/16/2010, 09:55 PM
Well unfortunately, I found that most of the fish the local fish stores have that got me wanting a salt water tank in the first place aren't on the list? The Picaso Trigger, the Lunare Wrasse, etc are always cool looking fish but apparently aren't good tank mates. Hmm, might have to rethink a bit. I think I am a bit small on tank space to get those fish I really want like a Bannana Wrasse or a Purple Tang. If I get rid of my coral, I would really like really colorful fish and am seeming a bit limitied based off the species mentioned? Any other 90 gallon owners out there that have pulled off a FOLWR of mass color?