PDA

View Full Version : Clown Trigger in a four foot tank?

steamer51
06/15/2010, 11:35 PM
Could a Clown Trigger live a normal life in a 55 or 75 gallon 4' tank by himself? It would be purchased very small, probably 1". The tank would have a 100 gallon stock tank as a sump with skimmer and macro algae to keep the water quality in check. I have read from what I believe to be reliable sources that can get 20" but generally only 10" in an aquarium. I prefer to set up another tank to keep aggressive fish by themselves rather than take the chance of them killing whatever I try to add later. I won't fool myself into thinking I'll have the funds to upgrade to bigger tank later so the four foot tank would be his home forever. There would be minimal rock in the tank to allow as much swimming room as possible and plenty of rock in the sump for filtration. I would like to have one but won't do it if it's not going to provide a good home for the fish. Thanks!

T-T-Trigger
06/16/2010, 12:11 AM
You owe it to yourself to try and see an adult Clown Triggerfish in person. For one thing they are very impressive to observe, and also once you do, you will know that the answer is no.

Adam S
06/16/2010, 03:26 AM
a 4 foot tank isnt enough especially for life. i mean for a little while yea but not forever. Im thinking of a clown trigger for my 5 foot tank which i think is the minimum length they should be in but even i know i wont be able to support it for life

Mentat
06/16/2010, 06:24 AM
Could a Clown Trigger live a normal life in a 55 or 75 gallon 4' tank by himself?...
No, a Clown needs and will use like twice the length of your planned tank. Still, you could keep one of the smaller triggers in a 75. My Undie is a beautiful fish and has become very entertaining! Once it passed 3 inches (used to be shy) he's out and around; misbehaving and begging for food (eats everything).

steamer51
06/16/2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the replies, I suspected that would be the answer and appreciate your honesty. Maybe someday I'll have the funds to dedicate a 240 to keeping one since I prefer 4 and 8 foot tanks but I'll pass on getting one for now.

lostintheocean
06/16/2010, 12:36 PM
good call on waiting,

i would like one someday as well but not on my 75, when i get around to getting an 1 or 10 foot tank that he can reigh supreme in

Stuart60611
06/16/2010, 12:39 PM
good call on waiting,

i would like one someday as well but not on my 75, when i get around to getting an 1 or 10 foot tank that he can reigh supreme in

+1. I think pretty much all of us fowlr folks would love to have a clown trigger. However, I would not get one for my 6 foot 125 and would not even consider one for a system that was not at least twice as large.

My dream system would be 300+ with very aggressive stock, such as a clown trigger, huma trigger, passer angel, porc puffer, lunar wrasse, and sohal tang. Now, that would be a tank of my dreams.