PDA

View Full Version : denitrator?vs np biopellets

thenewone
06/15/2010, 11:49 PM
ok guys a little help here i have no idea which to use im having a nitate problem and very little growed if any my question is do they both do the samething and if they do which one is easier to maintain if not what are the advantages of both thanks

please help my tank looks ugly and have tried everything lol

Cloudburst2000
06/16/2010, 01:57 AM
You really should find the source of the nitrate problem instead of adding chemicals to the system. The nitrates are coming from somewhere. First, we need your system specs. Tank size, type of filtration, lights, other equipment, lbs of live rock, live sand, livestock, any chemicals that you dose with, etc. Also, what are all you readings...especially the one for nitrates. Often when people have nitrate problems, they are over-feeding their tanks. How much and how often do you feed? Adding chemicals to the tank to clear up nitrates will not fix the problem that is causing high nitrates. Once you stop the chemicals, the problem will resume and it's never really a good idea to add all kinds of 'extra' chemicals to your tank. They can often cause other problems. The best way to initially lower nitrates...WATER CHANGES. You need to do several large water changes to drop nitrates and then fix whatever is causing you to have high nitrates.

martinphillip03
06/16/2010, 05:48 AM
I have a nitrate problem because I overfeed. I was able to buy a used denitrater made by Midwest Aquatics. Another choice may be the pellet by http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847060
If I use a pellet I would try these first.

Marty

ok guys a little help here i have no idea which to use im having a nitate problem and very little growed if any my question is do they both do the samething and if they do which one is easier to maintain if not what are the advantages of both thanks

please help my tank looks ugly and have tried everything lol