PDA

View Full Version : General Questions

neavins5395
06/17/2010, 07:20 AM
1.How can i make my mushroom colony multip?
2.How can i make my live rock change colors? Ive had my tank set up for 2 yrs. my water quality and changes are done on time yet my live rock is green instead of red or purple. I have fiji and tonga live rock! Can u help me?

Palting
06/17/2010, 09:50 AM
You want coralline red, purple, green, pink? Check your Calcium and mag levels. Make sure your lights are up to snuff. If they are all OK, then go to a buddy or LFS that has coralline algae and get some. Scrape some of that coralline so they float in the water column. Give it time. You'll get it.

neavins5395
06/17/2010, 12:00 PM
so i need to screap some off of live rock in a store and out it onto my live rock?.. i need to know what to do step by step

Floowid
06/17/2010, 12:04 PM
Maybe some pictures will help us, what do you mean your rock is green? Is it green from algae, is it bare rock that is actually the healthy brown/gray of a dark tank? Tell us about your lights.

Palting
06/17/2010, 12:08 PM
so i need to screap some off of live rock in a store and out it onto my live rock?.. i need to know what to do step by step

Yup. Or, buy a piece of liverock that already has it. I started mine with a coralline encrusted seashell on a hermit, actually, then bought a 'shroom attached to a rock that had a lot of coralline on it. It takes a while, like several weeks before you see any new coralline. It will be months before there is a significant change in the overall coverage. You will see them on the lower parts of your aquascape first. Some say be careful what you ask for :).

You need to make sure your calcium, Mag, alk, pH, are up to par, and the lighting should be reef-friendly, otherwise nothing happens. Some say dose with Iodine to get the color, too, as well as strotnium, and I did, but that is not a universal recommendation.

steelhead77
06/17/2010, 12:46 PM
If you don't have any coraline after 2 years, something is amiss. Try Purple-Up. You need to get your calcium level up. Do you have other corals beside mushrooms? How are they doing? I would guess that if you don't have any purple growing, other stuff isn't growing well either. Post your parameters and we'll be able to help more.

lordofthereef
06/17/2010, 03:58 PM
IPSF.com sells coraline "discs" that are basically a sheet of plastic with coralline on them for seeding your tanks. I would take that route if you want to spend money. Otherwise, look for someone local to let you have a small coralline encrusted rock.

As for the shrooms, they are about the easiest thing to frag. Just slice them up with a razor blade, trying to keep a bit of the mouth on each piece. Put them all in a tray/cup with rubble and some light water flow and they will each attach to a piece of rubble which you can place anywhere in the tank.

neavins5395
06/18/2010, 06:35 AM
yes i have 2 large rocks with button polyps on it and they are doing well....ive had those button polyps for a bout 6 months

neavins5395
06/18/2010, 06:39 AM
my live rock has a green tint on it ...the coloration is green but it is not algae hair...the rock was tan when i bought it though

sslak
06/18/2010, 07:20 AM
Coralline does grow in green.

Are you sure your paramters are good? Coralline requires proper Alk levels.

Frequency of water changes?
Dosing anything?

Palting
06/18/2010, 07:22 AM
my live rock has a green tint on it ...the coloration is green but it is not algae hair...the rock was tan when i bought it though

Gently scrape the green stuff. It it does not come off easy, then you have green coralline!! It's actually harder to get the green stuff! If it comes off easy, then, sad to say, you have the early GHA.

Floowid
06/18/2010, 11:49 AM
Once again, a picture is worth a thousand words. If you can get a shot of your rocks it would help a lot.

chimmike
06/18/2010, 12:03 PM
1) What is your lighting? Lighting is important to corraline growth
2) What exactly are your tank parameters?
3) Just because it's not hairy doesn't mean the green isn't algae.

Not enough info.