PDA

View Full Version : What are u using to provide flow to your Cx reactor?

edenboy1
06/17/2010, 01:27 PM
I am using my return pump (Mag 12) to feed my octo calcium reactor. For about 6 months I have not been able to keep a consistent drip rate. Can anyone give me some pointers.

madcowz
06/17/2010, 01:40 PM
Big pump I use an MJ1200. Are you using a needle valve to control the affluent? My needle valve use to clog constantly. I switched to a flow control pinch valve and it solved the problem.

edenboy1
06/17/2010, 01:45 PM
I tee'd of my return line to feed the reactor. The flow to the reactor is valved down. I reviewed the flow control valve on marine depots website. I didn't want to spend the 20 or so bucks if the feed was the problem.

ebonline
06/17/2010, 02:47 PM
Does your main return line have a valve in it as well??? Water will go into the path of least resistance and IMO if you valve the "T" to the Ca reactor and not the main line also your feed pressure might be changing but the reactor also will only take in what is released out the drip line. Would also check the needle valve because it could be clogged.

edenboy1
06/17/2010, 03:03 PM
The return line is valved down but, the flow through the reactor still varies. After a few hours of a stable and consistent drip, it dwindles to nothing.

das75
06/18/2010, 10:33 PM
I have a 1/4" OD line tee'd into the return line fr my Barracuda. Flow is controlled by a 1/4 turn JG type valve before the reactor. Found drip rate stays steady for weeks often longer before I need to re-adjust

werdlone
06/18/2010, 10:50 PM
It is more stable if you have a dedicated feed pump. Any change in the pressure or output of the return pump and you will lose your steady rate throught the reactor. I use a maxi-jet 1200 and has worked flawlessly for 2 years. I have a geo reactor and it comes with a control valve that works well.

Paulairduck
06/18/2010, 11:46 PM
deffinitely a max jet used them for year's never had a problem, just clean them every couple of months

makoslo
06/19/2010, 03:08 PM
I'm only using a MJ 500 on my Korallin C-4002 with a 2nd effluent Chamber and can get plenty of flow. And +1 on the pinch valve.

ParisH
06/19/2010, 08:01 PM
I had a similar problem of the flow stopping after a few hours on my calcium reactor. The type of reactor is one using the recirculating pump of the reactor to suck water in. It also has a bypass CO2 recirculating tube that allows a small flow of water with any excess CO2 accumulating at the top of the chamber to go back down and into the chamber. I resolved the flow issue by adding one valve on this CO2 recirculating tube in order to reduce the water flow.
If you have a similar CO2 recirculating system on your reactor, adding a similar valve may help.