PDA

View Full Version : High Nitrate Issues

galonso
06/17/2010, 03:01 PM
I had my Nitrates at 80ppm :furious:and I've done about 25 gallons out of my 54 tank water change in the last week and its down to about 50ppm. I know I need to do more water changes but how much can I do at once at what intervals of time. I'm growing Chaeto in my sump but I guess its time to change the bulbs. I've on it because I noticed that it is not growing as quickly. Thats probably one of the contributing factors to my nitrate spike. What else could cause such a huge swing in Nitrates?

Should I be running carbon in my sump to fight the nitrate issue also:uzi:?

Percula9
06/17/2010, 04:36 PM
Is this a reef or a fish only tank? Reduce feeding to every other day if your feeding every day. Carbon will not remove nitrates directly. It will remove organic compounds before they break down into nitrates. Do you have a protein skimmer? A deep sand bed will help remove the nitrates. Are you having algae problems?

TripleT
06/17/2010, 04:47 PM
I'd do another large water change in a week or so, if the nitrates are bothering you that much.

You can do very large water changes, just make sure to match the temp, PH, and salinity very closely.

You also want to mix the new water for at least 24 hours to let it aerate and stabilize. Some people mix new water for a week before using it.

Feed 2-3 times a day... as long as the food is eaten within a few minutes.

Make sure your test kit hasn't expired, and buy a new one if in doubt. Salifert is a popular choice.

If the nitrates start creeping back up, look into getting a bigger and better protein skimmer. If your tank is 54 gallons, get one rated for at least 100 gallons.

How many fish in the 54?

bertoni
06/17/2010, 05:26 PM
A lot of animals won't mind 80 ppm of nitrate, although I agree that getting a second opinion on the test kit might be useful.

If there's an underlying issue that is driving the nitrate up (like insufficient skimming), water changes tend to be ineffective since the nitrate can move back up very rapidly. You could try 10-15% changes, one per day, if you're willing to do the work. I'd avoid larger changes than that, although twice a day at 10% might be fine.

Activated carbon doesn't do much for the nitrate level, due to its limited capacity. This article might help:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

galonso
06/18/2010, 07:51 AM
Percula9, I have always feed only three times per week and yes I have deep sand bed so far I am not having any algae problems but I have noticed that my ricordea's and leather are not looking good.

Thank you for the advice.

galonso
06/18/2010, 07:52 AM
TripleT, I dont have a skimmer yet but I am in the market looking for something suitable. I tested my kits against my local store and I am getting the same results so I know my test kits are not bad. I only have 2 Chromis, sebae clown and yellow tang.

Thank you for the advice.

galonso
06/18/2010, 07:54 AM
Bertoni, I am looking of a skimmer to combat the nitrates now. I am going to try doing another water change tomorrow morning of about 15% and see if it comes down. Thanks for the advice on carbon I guess I misunderstood what the reaction is. The article really helped.

I guess I am going to need a skimmer before I can see any major improvement.

Thanks for the advice.

TripleT
06/18/2010, 08:10 AM
I am going to try doing another water change tomorrow morning of about 15% and see if it comes down

It will come down about 15%.

I guess I am going to need a skimmer before I can see any major improvement.

A picture is worth 1000 words...

http://www.fishlore.com/fishpicture/data/503/protein-skimmer-collection-.jpg

The above is an AquaC skimmer cup.

noobtothereef
06/19/2010, 07:17 AM
sweet skimmer ..... j/k

mike_cmu04
06/19/2010, 09:42 AM
Chech your top off water for nitrates also

bertoni
06/19/2010, 02:58 PM
Depending on the size of the tang, that's a fairly heavy load for that size tank. Unfortunately, I don't know of a good skimmer for a tank of that size. I was never happy with the skimmers I had on my tanks, which were a bit smaller. :(

galonso
06/20/2010, 05:23 AM
My tang is on the small size but after doing another 10% water change it has come down to about 20ppm. I guess I just have to contnue to do water changes every day. I will add a skimmer as soon as I can. Thanks for all the advice it is much appreciated.

bertoni
06/20/2010, 04:11 PM
You're welcome! Good luck!