PDA

View Full Version : Zoa disease/pest ID please (PICS)

grimlykindo
06/17/2010, 10:21 PM
I've had this nice patch of red zoas for about 5 months and about 2-3 weeks ago they started to stay shut and are now slowly melting away. The pic with the red circle is how they looked for the first couple months and the zoomed in pic was taken today. I was going to dip them but they have fully attached to the huge rock I put them on.

If you look closely at the zoomed in pic you can see where some of the polyps look fine but others are faded and have no skirts. I cannot see any pests or anything and I have lots of other zoa colonies that are looking great. I haven't changed any maintenance or skipped waterchanges (bi weekly 20%). No dosing at all.

Any ideas on what could be wrong with them? Any input is appreciated.

650-IS350
06/17/2010, 11:29 PM
maybe you might have fungus, have you tried the

90%saltwater with 10% peroxide treatment dips

grimlykindo
06/18/2010, 05:15 PM
maybe you might have fungus, have you tried the

90%saltwater with 10% peroxide treatment dips
The colony has attached itself to the huge base rock they are on - I would need a huge rubbermaid bin to dip the rock in. I'm not sure its worth ripping my rockscape apart and making a 20+ gallon dip! :confused:

I guess beyond dips there is nothing else I can do?

Casy
06/18/2010, 08:06 PM
damn i had the same freaking problem with that same zoas!!!!!! what the hell is the problem with those specie???

ReefSafari
06/18/2010, 08:22 PM
Aren't some Zoanthids more sensitive? I don't know if its true, but I have heard of Zoanthids just dieing, "Melting" away...I have been told that it sometimes just happens...I was always under the impression that it was always a risk when buying Zoathids, that sometimes they might just melt out of the blue...leaving you wondering why they melted...

I don't know if its true...But I know people that have awsome water quality, no pests, and have had Zoas melt on them...I have even heard of Zoas that have been doing well for long lengths of time just suddenly melt away...I don't know why though...

grimlykindo
06/19/2010, 10:02 AM
Aren't some Zoanthids more sensitive? I don't know if its true, but I have heard of Zoanthids just dieing, "Melting" away...I have been told that it sometimes just happens...I was always under the impression that it was always a risk when buying Zoathids, that sometimes they might just melt out of the blue...leaving you wondering why they melted...

I don't know if its true...But I know people that have awsome water quality, no pests, and have had Zoas melt on them...I have even heard of Zoas that have been doing well for long lengths of time just suddenly melt away...I don't know why though...
This is what I'm thinking too since the other zoas in my tank are doing just fine :(

jjmcat
06/19/2010, 01:54 PM
If I had a dime for every zoa that I had melt away I would be a rich man.Have you tested you Mag levels?Sometimes when my zoas look bad my mag is low.