PDA

View Full Version : wet/dry recommendations...

schroedel
06/18/2010, 08:18 AM
I just got my 110 gal glass bowfront in. I need a new wet/dry filter and skimmer for it.I have only 30in length to work with.I would want an in sump skimmer for it. any recommendations? I was looking at a Berliner WD-125 Wet/Dry Filter
but the size of this leaves me with no extra space underneath but thats ok, but what skimmer?

also was looking at the megflow sump filter model 3 (up to 110 gal)also but not sure of a skimmer that will fit that.I would like model 4 since it goes up to 240 gal but i cant fit it so I would be at max. with model 3 but i guess thats ok. I hope you have some wise help for me.
I have on my 75gal tank that i am replacing , an amiricle really old sump and an old stand alone emperor aquatics series 6-1. Both would be at max on 110gal. and could not fit sump and skimmer under new tank.
thank you
:)

makoslo
06/19/2010, 03:46 PM
What kind of tank are you trying to setup? For the most part I think wet/dry filters have fallen out of favor. They tended to be nitrate factories. Your live rock and live sand can do a much better job providing a substrate for bacterial growth than bioballs. Look for a sump with a micron bag to catch the water going into the sump and leave the rest of the sump for a large protein skimmer and a media reactor for carbon. And still have room to add a Calcium reactor and a media reactor for phosphates if you need or want to in the future.

NYReef
06/19/2010, 05:02 PM
Check out Precision Marine for some fine units, and also Lifereef.com for more excellent equipment. They are not cheap, but they are the best stuff.

Marc
06/26/2010, 11:10 PM
Have you ever tried Aquatic Design Habitats? They make them out of 1/2" acrylic! Top notch and better built then anything else I have seen. Also with Lifereef your going to wait at least a year before Jeff builds it for you. LOL!!!

Marc