PDA

View Full Version : How to aquascape with frags on plugs

jb61264
06/18/2010, 09:14 AM
So, I have lots of frags on plugs sitting in a couple homemade frag racks (eggcrate mounted on Mag Floats) and some of them have grown out nicely to where I'd like to incorporate them into my aquascape.

Just wondering what method(s) people use to get frags that may be on some sort of plug into their aquascape without pulling rocks out of the tank and drilling them. I have frags on the agrocrete disks, some on the disks that have a plug on the bottom, and some on those black plastic plugs.

I've been thinking about dremiling off the bottom plug portion of these and gluing them with Superglue gel wherever I want, but thought I would see if there are other "techniques"

BrokeColoReefer
06/18/2010, 04:18 PM
in the past i have cut the stem off and used putty epoxy to affix the disk to a rock, or shoved the stem inbetween rocks...

fanandy8
06/18/2010, 08:50 PM
I just use bone cutters or something similar to cut off the stem of plugs. Then use the putty stuff and super glue gel to attach to rock. I put a glob of glue on the plug, then a ball of putty and another glob of glue and place it where I want it on the rock in tank. The superglue kind of helps to hold the frag until the putty is able to cure. The putty and plug will get encrusted over or covered in coraline in no time and you wont even be able to tell its there.

LPSGurl
06/19/2010, 12:40 PM
I always snap the frag off of the plug, and toss it (the plug) alot of unwantables hide under the frag/on the plug. Then mount the coral to where ever you want in the tank using epoxy.

Christina

Lina5910
06/25/2010, 06:52 AM
I usually just shove the plug between the rocks n its good to go.

TampaSnooker
06/25/2010, 09:08 AM
+1 putty/epoxy. You can get it in purple so it looks somewhat more natural. Just remember it isn't a glue but will harden in place. fanandy's suggestion about using superglue to hold it temporarily while epoxy hardens is a good one for spots where you may want the mount angled.