PDA

View Full Version : What type of clown is this?

DrewPatton
06/18/2010, 11:36 AM
My friend owns it, I'm thinking about adopting it when i get my tank set up, though, and hopefully pairing it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/drew_half_empty/johnwaynagaycy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/drew_half_empty/gaycy2.jpg

I assume it's female because it was the only clown in his tank for about 6 months, then later a larger yellowtail was added and tormented the poor little thing. Of course the yellowtail was removed months ago, but based on what I've read I assume it's still female?

Also, I'd like to have, say, at least 3 clowns in this tank, which means I should find two smaller clowns from the same hatch and one will become male and the other one remain genderless, correct?

Lastly, any hope on cross breeding this species? Or do they sort of keep to themselves?

Thanks

Toddrtrex
06/18/2010, 12:05 PM
That is a gold stripe maroon clown (( Premnas biaculeatus )), I would suggest not to attempt to have "at 3 least clowns in this tank" -- odds are good that you would end up with just a pair.

Would suggest getting a smaller (( one )) maroon to try to pair up with that one.

DrewPatton
06/18/2010, 12:18 PM
are you sure it's gold and not white?

how can you tell? I think the gold coloration pictured may just be reflection

Toddrtrex
06/18/2010, 12:20 PM
Just going off of that second picture -- it looks "gold" to me. But, I guess the only way to tell was to either get a better pic or see it in person.

ocellaris123
06/18/2010, 02:13 PM
I concur that it is a golden striped maroon clown. I have noticed that the bars are wider on golden striped than the regular white striped, plus you can see the gold in the picture.

DrewPatton
06/18/2010, 02:51 PM
Sweet

will this (theoretically) pair with, say, a smaller percula assuming I put them both in a bigger tank at the same time?

Also, am I right in assuming it's probably female?

Toddrtrex
06/18/2010, 02:55 PM
Maroons are hard enough to pair up with another maroon, I would think that trying it with another species of clown would be even harder.

So, personally I wouldn't do it, but then again I like having pairs of the same species and wouldn't do it even if it would be easy.

ctlegacy
06/18/2010, 03:32 PM
They are meaner than hell!!!!! and they get HUGE!!! I think like 5"-6". They will dominate a tank. I had a 1.25" one that I put in a tank with 20 other clowns of mixed breeds, and it killed 2 of them on the first day before I could catch it and get it out. I have a tank that has percs, oscils, clarkii, cinnamins, picassos, and more. All living happily together, but on maroon put the whole tank on edge in about 3 minutes.

Don't recommend them at all, which sucks because I think they look super cool, but they are super sucky!

t4zalews
06/18/2010, 07:20 PM
yea..i had a pair of Gold stripes...the female was ~2" with the male being about 1". The female was a terror...chased fish around and would peel out on the sandbed. She would knock over any corals I might place within 1 foot of the anemone. Makes placing corals hard in a 3' long tank.

Beautiful yes....friendly no.

elegance coral
06/18/2010, 07:32 PM
I have a tank that has percs, oscils, clarkii, cinnamins, picassos, and more. All living happily together,

We have an unwritten rule. Pictures or it didn't happen.:)

elegance coral
06/18/2010, 07:38 PM
I'd like to have, say, at least 3 clowns in this tank, which means I should find two smaller clowns from the same hatch and one will become male and the other one remain genderless, correct?

No. The smaller fish will die.

Lastly, any hope on cross breeding this species? Or do they sort of keep to themselves?
Thanks

They have been bred with ocellaris, so it's possible. Probably not probable though.

DrewPatton
06/18/2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys!

this is a great community