PDA

View Full Version : Remora Pro for a 20G? Or suggestions?

Fliger
06/18/2010, 03:56 PM
Hey all,

Looking for advice. After a long hiatus - I'm setting up a tank again. I'm in a little bit of limbo land though, I have a 55G Elos tank that I may or may not set up. So right now I have everything in a nice little 20G acrylic tank with a closed loop - and I may end up having it for awhile.

I have a bunch of nice corals in there and coming - lots of nice acans and echnos - all of which I'll probably spot feed a couple times a week with cyclopeeze or something similar. There will only be a few small chromis so they'll just feed off the extra from that.

I'm not sure if I should get a protein skimmer or not though. I will be diligent on water changes - the net volume is about 17 gallons - I'm planning on doing 4 gallon changes per week. I just don't know if that will get all the gunk outta there.

I also run high grade carbon (Elos) and Rowaphos, changed once per week.

No sump, so if I get a skimmer, it'd have to be a hang-on. There are always Remora Pros for sale, but I have no experience with them. And I really don't want to spend $400 on a skimmer that will be so temporary.

Should I even get a skimmer? Or will WC + Carbon + Rowa be sufficient?

Thanks!

David