PDA

View Full Version : Some quick plumbing advise needed

BIGG D
06/18/2010, 05:11 PM
I have an iwaki external return pump plumbed to my sump.
Inlet 1 1/4" and outlet 1 1/4".

I want to upgrade to a dart which has a 2" inlet.

My sump is a rubbermaid stock tank and it is already set up with a 1 1/4 drain.

Obviously I can get an adaptor for the conversion...but will this cause me any problems???

Thanks!!!!

BrokeColoReefer
06/18/2010, 06:50 PM
My opinion would be on the conservative side of things.. I dont think you want to reduce the input of the pump, it can shorten the life. Why not plug the bulkhead you have now and drill a new one in? Should be easy enough on a rubbermaid tank.

BIGG D
06/19/2010, 07:41 AM
My opinion would be on the conservative side of things.. I dont think you want to reduce the input of the pump, it can shorten the life. Why not plug the bulkhead you have now and drill a new one in? Should be easy enough on a rubbermaid tank.

It would be a major PITA. I actually have two 70 gallon stock tanks plumbed together for a sump. I would have to take all this completely apart to refit with a 2" drain. I was just hoping I could avoid that.

Thanks for the help brother !!

BrokeColoReefer
06/19/2010, 02:25 PM
Taken from the reeflo tips and tricks site here:
http://www.reeflopumps.com/images/tips.pdf

2. Always have your inlet pipe diameter equal to, or larger than, the discharge line. This helps prevent cavitation.

Doesnt say anything about damage. But cavitation over time cant be good.

BIGG D
06/19/2010, 03:27 PM
Taken from the reeflo tips and tricks site here:
http://www.reeflopumps.com/images/tips.pdf

2. Always have your inlet pipe diameter equal to, or larger than, the discharge line. This helps prevent cavitation.

Doesnt say anything about damage. But cavitation over time cant be good.

Yep...thats what I was afraid of. Assuming cavitation=air=bubbles...your right. That can be good. Looks like I need to head in another direction.
Thanks