PDA

View Full Version : Reef octopus skimmer

chris0799
06/18/2010, 05:44 PM
I just setup my reef octopus skimmer and the bubbles aren't reaching near the top. What does this mean? Will it eventually get there?

Dave VG
06/18/2010, 05:51 PM
Give it a couple of days to break in and re-adjust.

strout
06/18/2010, 06:02 PM
Are you adjusting the control tube? I had the same problem, till I figured that out.

TheH
06/18/2010, 08:23 PM
You have to raise or twist up the pipe to raise the bubble level in the skimmer body.

njdevilsfan
06/18/2010, 10:51 PM
how much water is it sitting in?
i had to bulid a stand for mine to get it at the proper level
its prolly just breaking in

chris0799
06/19/2010, 12:14 AM
The controll tube is all the way open and the bubbles only reach to ablout where it says reef octo on the side of the skimmer. And it's prolly in about 5-6 inches of water. Will the bubbles just go all the way to the collection cup when it breaks in or what??

njdevilsfan
06/19/2010, 12:34 AM
yes they will
what does the instruction manual say for water height
my needs to be in 7 inches

chris0799
06/19/2010, 12:37 AM
It didn't say anything about it. That's y I'm so confused. Lol. And how long do u think it takes to break in and when will I start getting gunk in the collection cup?

strout
06/19/2010, 04:26 AM
Mine didn't need any break in period, starter working right off the bat, it also said it needs 7 to 9 inches of water, that maybe your problem.

reefbat
06/19/2010, 07:27 AM
I have my reef octopus E160 sitting in about 9 inches of water because I know I read that somewhere in their documentation....however i checked their site for you and found this so i don't know.....

What water level should I run my in sump skimmer at?

This is the question we get asked the most about in sump protein skimmers, there really is no set depth that the skimmer needs to run in. The two things you need to look for is that the pump is covered with at the minimum or 1″ of water about the highest point on the pump and second is that the water level in the sump is below the water outlet pipe on the skimmer. You want to see the water flowing out of the skimmer and drop down into the sump water.

My skimmer is not producing any foam or foam that is rising to the collection cup?

All skimmers require a break in period before any foam will be made or start rising in the main cylinder. When first starting your new skimmer set the water level in the skimmer low but keep the output wedge pipe fully open or the outlet valve all the way open. Do not raise the water level in the skimmer for at least 2 to 3 weeks if you do then you run the risk of the skimmer overflowing and flooding your area. Please be patient during this break in period. Your skimmer is working but it needs to run for sometime to allow all residual oils in the acrylic to break down before it will build a head of foam to travel to the collection cup. As the foam starts to rise over time you will see waste matter picked up into the foam. It will start to collect on the walls of the acrylic. Also a skimmer will not make foam if you do not have enough of a bio load in the aquarium. The skimmer may make some foam but if you do not have any organic waste in the aquarium it will not have anything to pull out of the water thus shutting down any skim mate.

So that makes it sound like as long as the pump is completely submerged it should start working after a while. Like I said I put mine in about 9" of water and I'm pretty positive it started pulling out skimmate pretty soon after I started stocking the tank.

CRASHJT
06/19/2010, 07:41 AM
My nw-150 is in about 8-9 inches of water as well. It was producing something pretty soon nowhere near what it does now though it will need a few days to break in and then it will get better everyday...... you say its all the way open is that pipe all the way up or down that pipe basiclly controlls the water level in the skimmer in the all the way up position it should pump nothing but water out of the cup your gonna have to play with it for a bit to find the "sweet" spot esp during break in but after a while you can just leave it alone and it will chug away I havent touched the adjustment on mine in forever.

TheH
06/19/2010, 09:54 AM
As CRASHJT, mentioned you have to start closing the control tube until the bubble level rises to where you want it.

j.p. harrington
06/19/2010, 06:41 PM
u dont have it deep enough in the water coralvue recomends 9-10 inches of water and then u can tweak with the tube