PDA

View Full Version : aefw qt

crsaz
06/18/2010, 06:30 PM
ok so I recently found out I have aefw(actually 2 weeks after I treated for red bugs) right now I set up a qt with a piece of live rock a ph, heater and a 150w mh, my uestion is would I be better off setting up a more permanent qt system? I have been doing water changes daily or every other day but Im sick of that, would I be better off putting a 10 gal sump and skimmer on the qt system?

Dejavu
06/18/2010, 06:44 PM
A permanent QT would be a good option. This would allow you to treat all new additions.

crsaz
06/18/2010, 07:32 PM
I went ahead and rigged together a nice little qt system, it consists of a cement mixing tub I used to use for holding corals while fragging, and a 58qt rubbermaid. it looks pretty clean now I just need to get some braket s to hang the light and a filter sock from the lfs and I should be good to go, I even went and got a smaller cement tub so when I dont have many new additions I can take the big one off and put on the smaller tub that only hold 6.5 gallons(the small one is still 28"x18" so it can hold a good amount of corals), also would it be a good idea to drain the cement tub and wash it with rodi when I do my weekly dip/ bastings?

cwegescheide
06/18/2010, 10:09 PM
I've got a 20H that I drilled and put an overflow box on it. Got a small sump and a 250W pendant hanging over it and a top off switch. I don't use a skimmer on the QT. Its pretty bare bones. I put a large live rock in there for a little filtration.

When I set up my new tank I swore EVERYTHING that goes in my tank has to go thru QT for 6 weeks, dipping every week. I do a 10-15 gallon water change from the display every week and that seems to do fine. Corals look a little rough after the QT but they are clean. Well worth the hassle IMO.

So far all my corals look very healthy and no bite marks. I even qt softies etc.. Absolutley everything has to go thru QT. No more flat worms for me. Been there, done that..

crsaz
06/19/2010, 01:02 AM
heres the qt I rigged up tonite,I also have a smaller tube that can be swapped out in less than 5 minutes for when I dont have every acropora I own in qt.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/crsaz/IMG00252-20100618-2343.jpg

cwegescheide
06/19/2010, 08:36 AM
That's all ya need.. Nothin fancy :)