PDA

View Full Version : Have Calcium Reactor vs. Dosing Pump Questions... Please Read!

ghstrider
06/18/2010, 10:50 PM
Im doing an upgrade and purchased a brand new Geo 618 with a Reef Fanatic Regulator and C02 Tank. I was all stoked and then heard that Im gonna need a Kalk reactor to raise the pH in the tank since the C02 will lower it. Is this true? Will I need to run more equipment to be able to run the Ca Reactor efficiently?? Is the pH always gonna be a battle or is it gonna be fine since I purchased a good reactor and regulator (from what Ive heard).

Please chime in guys.... I was told Im better off with a dosing pump system like a profilux or bubble magus. Thoughts? Is this the new, more efficient way of adding supplements??

My current tank has niether and I simply dose B-ionic daily so this stuff is like chinese to me.

Thanks in advance
Eddy

James77
06/19/2010, 06:54 AM
Low pH can be a problem with calcium reactors if you have high enough demand. There are ways of dealing with it- run effluent through skimmer, run effluent through a second media chamber, and dosing kalk.

I prefer 2 part for its independent control, and you can have a choice of raising or keeping a fairly neutral pH depending what solution you go with.

The Geo's are great reactors. I suggest going a little higher end with the regulator, if you can swing the extra money. GreenLeafAquariums sell several- look for ones with the ideal neele valve. AquariumPlants also sells their own electronic one for about $180, I have used them and they work great. The ReefFanatic is better than alot of the crap out there, but I still was not completely happy with the consistency of mine, nor the preset pressure level.

You can't go wrong with either a reactor or dosing. Dosing is alot cheaper for setup, but calcium reactors can be cheaper long term, although buying your dosing supplies in bulk takes away alot of that advantage.

Gary Majchrzak
06/19/2010, 07:00 AM
what's a better way to get there... Ford or Chevy?
(that's an analagy to a Calcium Reactor vs. Dosing Pump).

B-ionic works great but it's also a great expense. Perhaps it's time to start preparing your own two part if you decide to go with the dosing pump!

ghstrider
06/19/2010, 09:12 AM
James, if i run the Ca Reactor do I need to plumb it to the skimmer??? My skimmer is an in-sump cone swc skimmer so hard plumbing it may not be possible. Do i just let the Reactor effluent into the skimmer section of the sump? will that work or not really?

I have a feeling the best and easiest way of adding chemicals is the doser. It may cost a bit more even thru BRS but seems to have many advantages. Still looking for thoughts please. This is for my upgrade which wont be up and running for like 6 months anyway.

ghstrider
06/19/2010, 09:16 AM
Obviously my concern is the pH and I really dont want to run extra equipment to raise pH in the tank. Trying to set the system up right from the beginning. If pH will be a problem regardless than I will sell the Reactor Package and go with a dosing unit.

Gary Majchrzak
06/19/2010, 09:22 AM
pH (either high or low) can be a problem no matter what you choose to do ;)

a calcium reactor doesn't get plumbed directly to a skimmer-
their effluent drips into the system in an area of decent water motion (oftentimes inside a sump).

sanababit
06/19/2010, 09:39 AM
My toughts:

Calcium reactor is a kind of set it and forget it kind of deal, you will spend a couple of weeks trying to find that special point of drop vs bubble to get the correct saturation your tank demands, if you get to that special point your tank might not suffer that ph drop everyone is affraid off, a ph of 7.8 to 8.4 in your tank is an acceptable value IMO, it could go even lower o higher it all depends on your tank, as you know every tank is different, if you are still worried you can put the outlets of the reactor over a cup of aragonite, let the drop of the effluent go thru it and this will raise the ph of the effluent, this is not that hard to do, the only problems i see with reactors are, the inlet of the reactor might get clogged up and mess up your drop:bubble ratio, your neddle valve is cheap and over time inject more co2 into the chamber and melt the reactor media inside thus clogging it, algae might form on the tubbing specially at the ends and mess your drop:bubble ratio, if you have a ph controller make sure to calibrate it every once in a while to get a good ph set point....

2 part, if you are going to use only 2 part then you will spend a couple of weeks trying to find out the alk part vs cal part ratio your tank demands, the problem is that you are going to add every day so if you forget then your tank might get a sudden drop of either alk or cal, 2 part is reletavely cheap to make, if you are going this way then get a couple of doser pumps so it doesnt become a chore of adding them every day for the rest of your life, lol, then this will become a set it and forget it kind o deal, just like the reactor....

I have used both, except for the dosers on the 2 part, i did it manually and it became a freaking chore, then i moved to a calcium reactor and i am happy for the most part, except those rare occasions it gets out of whack and need to find out what is wrong with it, but when it works then my tank is on automatic and i can go on trips, go to work, enjoy life and enjoy my tank with out any worries, lol, hope this helps and either way you go just make sure you take your time to set them up correctly, good luck

Sana

Gary Majchrzak
06/19/2010, 09:55 AM
Ca reactor is (initially) a PITA and expense but once it's dialed in there's much less maintenance than with liquid two part dosing units.

Tip: use a pH controller with a calcium reactor.

James77
06/19/2010, 12:59 PM
James, if i run the Ca Reactor do I need to plumb it to the skimmer??? My skimmer is an in-sump cone swc skimmer so hard plumbing it may not be possible. Do i just let the Reactor effluent into the skimmer section of the sump? will that work or not really?

I have a feeling the best and easiest way of adding chemicals is the doser. It may cost a bit more even thru BRS but seems to have many advantages. Still looking for thoughts please. This is for my upgrade which wont be up and running for like 6 months anyway.

I used to drip my effluent near the skimmer intake, so it could get pulled into the skimmer and mix with air to gas out the CO2.

I agree the dosers are the easiest and I think the dosers are alot easier to dial in than reactors. You set your tank to your desired level, then don't dose for a day or two. Measure the difference in Alk, then average out the amount of solution you need. You have the ability to independently control alk and calcium. Mixing is simple, I mix 5 gallons at a time and it lasts a few months. If I had higher demand or grew even lazier, I'd mix into larger containers than that.

ghstrider
06/19/2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks James... Man, Im debating keeping this reactor or selling it off and going with a cheaper dosing unit like the Bubble Magus for $300 shipped. Decisions decisions.... Guess I have about 6 months to decide so thats good.

ghstrider
06/20/2010, 10:18 AM
bump for some more ideas...