PDA

View Full Version : Check Valves

ccombs70
06/19/2010, 09:35 AM
I have a 450 display almost ready for plumbing. It has 4 holes in the bottom left from the old overflow boxes. I would like to run my return through them. Anyone use check valves in this type of application? I don't see it very often.

kc350twin
06/20/2010, 09:42 PM
I have run a check valve on my return since day one. I how ever don't fully rely on it. I still have plenty of room for the amount of water that drains down the outlet nozzle. You will see many people say they fail but I have not witnessed this first hand. Like all things in a reef tank they do need to be cleaned and replaced from time to time. I would definitely not totally rely on them as the sole flood prevention but use them in the arsenal of redundancy that keeps your floor dry.

Kc3

RokleM
06/21/2010, 08:34 AM
I agree with kc350twin. If you search, there are many posts about check valves failing. It really isn't a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Debris, calcium buildup, snails, you name it. To properly design a system, you have to assume they will fail.

You could use them if you extended a pipe up to the correct water level however. You could hide it/them from view with a rock wall.

ccombs70
06/21/2010, 01:06 PM
I agree with kc350twin. If you search, there are many posts about check valves failing. It really isn't a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Debris, calcium buildup, snails, you name it. To properly design a system, you have to assume they will fail.

You could use them if you extended a pipe up to the correct water level however. You could hide it/them from view with a rock wall.

I've thought about that too. They will work for a closed loop I guess. :)

RokleM
06/22/2010, 07:00 AM
Closed loop would definitely work too. Just make sure you install ball valves under each in case you ever need to disconnect and do maintenance ;)

ccombs70
06/22/2010, 08:25 AM
Closed loop would definitely work too. Just make sure you install ball valves under each in case you ever need to disconnect and do maintenance ;)

That's one thing you learn REAL quick. Put them before AND after the pump. lol. Not fun doing it later.