PDA

View Full Version : HOB Filter vs Canister Filter??

celticreefer85
06/19/2010, 10:31 AM
Hey guys,

I have an aquaclear 110 HOB filter. I am thinking about upgrading to an eheim canister filter. How big of a difference is having a canister filter as opposed to a HOB filter? What are the advantages? Lastly, how often should i clean my HOB filter? Thanks!

j.p. harrington
06/19/2010, 06:38 PM
alot of ppl dont like to run canisters because u have the clean them more frequently due to build up of nitrates and phosphates in them i believe. as for me i dont clean my HOB just change the filters every now and then no use in getting rid of the bacteria in em that often

SpencerG
06/19/2010, 07:34 PM
One big advantage is the canister filter can accomodate more types of filter medium. In fact, most reefers chuck the biomedia and use their canisters as reactors for phosphate, carbon, etc. Also, if you want to run a UV, you can plumb that into the return line. Finally, the canister filter is less visible than the HOB.

That said, if the canister plumbing fails, you could wind up with water everywhere since it may pump out down to the level of your intake tube. Also, some folks have been able to pack some additional filter media into the bigger HOBs like yours.

Good luck!