PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom moves?

polyp02
06/19/2010, 12:12 PM
I am begining to stock my 75gal. I went and bought a mushroom polyp, which came attached to a very small(1/2") piece of rock. I was able to fit it inside a hole of a larger rock in the tank. Last couple of days I have seen it in defferent location on the same rock.

Should I glue it to the rock? If yes with what? Since it is underwater.

Palting
06/19/2010, 12:27 PM
Is it still on it's little rock? If so, you can use epoxy putty/glue. I use these:
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18325
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3962

I do have one 'shroom that I let meander. He is a big, flat, mother and he changes his shape to get carried by the currents.

polyp02
06/19/2010, 12:32 PM
So they do move. COOL! I was actually kind of worried since it looks so fragile.

Wzrdbear
06/19/2010, 01:01 PM
it'll move when it doesn't like where it is. You can take it out and super glue it like above ( the putty wont work in this instance since they arent hard enough to stick with putty).
Dry a area on a small piece of rock. delicately take the mushroom and dry a small patch on the very bottom of its (foot). try to work quick here cause it will start to make a slime coat. A SMALL dab of glue and it should hold. Remember to glue the rock and the mushroom, not the mushroom and your finger! And use as little glue as you can. If you use too much, the glue makes heat cooking the foot. and it will float away as it sloughs the dead tissue.

Put it back in once it looks like its holding, usually 20 or 30 seconds is enough. Put the small rock and mushroom in a dip net and settle it in the water to see if it held. that way if it didn't , the mushroom will still be in the net, not floating behind all your rockwork.

Once its attached, and sitting on its rock, place it in a shadier area with less current at the moment. After a move, it wants to get used to thing slowly, like all creatures. once its happy, you can start to move it to the place you would like it, letting it acclimate to brighter light. It doesnt like tons and tons of light anyway, or lots of currents, so pick the spot you want it carefully. It will let you know if it doesnt like the spot by dropping off and floating to a calm area. if its happy, it'll be fully open and start to pedal lacerate, making more of itself.

oh, and the small rock you attached it to earlier. once you find its happy spot, you can then use the epoxy stick to put the small rock onto a bigger rock. this works with most coral to find their happy spot.

if the glue absolutely doesnt work or is too difficult, and you are really careful, you can get a very very fine needle and very fine filament ( nylon or polyester) from a craft or fabric store and at the very base, make one stitch through "stem" or foot and tie it to a small rock.

One other method for getting them to attach is to get a piece of plastic gutter guard, roll a bit to make a cylinder, use small zip ties to make a cylinder, then cover the cylinder with a plastic lid like a margarine lid or other container lid, set the gutterguard cylinder open side up in your tank. Put pieces of rubble rock around inside the cylinder and place the mushroom inside. Place the lid on and place a small rock on top to keep the lid in place, it will attach in a few hours to a few days.

Unless of course your water parameters are at issue, then it will stay a shriveled ball until its happy.

Good luck

Gangrene
06/19/2010, 05:02 PM
I also had a mushroom move... I put in in the tank and after two days it seemed to let go and went into the water column and went to the bottom back of the tank and attached to a rock there and never let go. It was actually a pretty good isolated spot. I guess this is more common than I thought it would be.

Dustin1300
06/19/2010, 07:45 PM
The mushroom is typically not moving a lot from my experience. If it is not flow then I'd bet that it is related to water params as you'll find they don't require much lighting. I've since gotten rid of all my shrooms as I'm switching to SPS and some other corals. I had started off with 10 various mushrooms and had probably 100-150 within 1 1/2 years. They grow fast and spread like a weed;)

VacavilleFC3S
06/20/2010, 04:55 AM
okey guys... first off you don't glue mushrooms, you put them in a small cup with rubble and let them attach to that. glueing corallimorphs is just going to make a mess, it would be like trying to superglue snot to a rock.

put them in an area of lower flow and there less likely to walk, but walking is good since they usually leave babies behind.

Palting
06/20/2010, 08:08 AM
okey guys... first off you don't glue mushrooms, you put them in a small cup with rubble and let them attach to that. glueing corallimorphs is just going to make a mess, it would be like trying to superglue snot to a rock.

put them in an area of lower flow and there less likely to walk, but walking is good since they usually leave babies behind.

LOL!!! "Snot to rock". Like that.

jbarr2000
06/20/2010, 08:50 AM
I bought mine on a small piece of "tile", just a flat square rock. I put it in the tank where I wanted it. Over the next week or two it walked off the tile it came on onto the rock that I had leaned it up against and hasn't moved since. It even hosts my clown and doesn't seem to be too unhappy. They will also usually leave some flesh behind when they move, and the flesh will grow into new mushrooms. I started with one and now have 4 smaller ones in the trail that the big one took.:beer:

I have a feeling I'll have more than I want soon enough. :P