PDA

View Full Version : LED Lighting and Reef Systems

dismayed
06/19/2010, 02:46 PM
Hello everyone. I have noticed that LED lighting systems, such as the Marineland LED Doubebright, have started popping up at my local fish stores.

The big question I have is: do any of these systems have enough power and PAR behind them to sustain corals?

One LFS I go to regularly has a small strip over a 34 gallon nano reef and the corals (mostly LPS) seem to be thriving. They have had the tank set up 6 - 8 months.

I have not seen these used on larger aquariums.

Just wondering what the buzz is with LEDs... I find the topic fascinating.

Monkeyfish
11/21/2010, 03:35 PM
A lot of LED lights are crap, but there are some excellent choices out there. There's a lot info on the boards if you do a search.

I wouldn't use the Marineland fixtures for a reef tank. Most of the good lights out there use 3 watt LEDs while Marineland uses 1 watt bulbs. They also use fewer bulbs than other manufacturers. The Marineland may look nice, but don't kick out a lot of PAR and won't cut it for most corals - maybe some softies and LPS if you have a shallow tank.

Get a t-5 set-up or pony up the $ for a good LED unit.

scubasteve06
11/21/2010, 05:20 PM
The AI Sol units are incredible. They put out PAR numbers that are equal to if not better than a 400w metal halide and only draw 72w. They are expensive at 540 a piece on MarineDepot without the controller and IMO the controller is a must as you will fry coral without it. With controller they are 600 something. Best thing is though that they will pay for themselves within 2-3 years with not spending hundred's on bulbs every 8-12 months and the saved electricity usage.

radicaltimes
11/21/2010, 05:27 PM
It's hard to judge how the corals do at the LFS. Most corals are sold after a few days . So they are only under the LED lighting a little while. I would like to go to Led to reduce my electric bill and changing out the bulbs every year.

Jhockey
11/21/2010, 06:01 PM
I don't think those corals would be great for reefs unless you were mostly keeping softies/low light corals or a FOWLR setup. IMO the best thing to do is to build your own LED setup. You save yourself a lot of money and also can customize your light to fit your needs based on the corals you keep and where you keep them in the tank etc.

Tnwalker
11/21/2010, 07:45 PM
I have the marineland led on a 60 gallon fowlr and I like it, but on my 120 reef I'm using t5. I know as as scubasteve06 said some of the led have very good par, but they really cost. I think I'm sticking with t5s for now. The double brights don't have the par, but I'm waiting for some reviews on marineland reef led lights.